King Edwards School - Ofsted Report Failures - Forced Academy Status

19 hours ago, salmonbones said:

I left King Edwards in, I think 1994.   It may have been 93, weirdly looking back I can't fully remember now.

These things did happen back then, and so I find it hard to believe you when you say they didn't in 2010.   We were taught many  things we weren't tested on, such as how to deal with Job interviews (we even had mock ones, and HSBC were brought in and did genuine ones for roles they had in school), we were taught how to cook all the basics then more - in fact almost everything you mention was touched on.

Fast forward, in lockdown - I witnessed my own kids lessons.   They definitely do  an awful lot more now, right down to discussing rent and Mortgage's, what you pay council tax for etc.  

It was good enough when I went to school, it was good enough  a couple of years ago when I witnessed it whilst working at home when my kids were being taught at home.   It just seems that there was some kind of weird void around 2010/2011.   

I left in 1997 and have similar recollections.

1 hour ago, Mkapaka said:

I left in 1997 and have similar recollections.

Good for you. You were taught how to mop a floor, how to make the bed, how to start up your own businesses, how to write an attractive CV, how to handle a job interview, how to file tax returns, calculate VAT, apply for state welfare payments, apply for a mortgage were you?

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

Good for you. You were taught how to mop a floor, how to make the bed, how to start up your own businesses, how to write an attractive CV, how to handle a job interview, how to file tax returns, calculate VAT, apply for state welfare payments, apply for a mortgage were you?

Most of that is not a schools responsibility.

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

The school's responsibility is to educate and prepare pupils for adult life, including grammar and punctuation e.g. use of apostrophes to symbolise ownership. 😉

Which bears little, if any, relevance to the quoted post.

14 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

No - obviously and thankfully not.

In the 4 or 5 hours a day that a kid is actually being taught in schools it would be pretty daft to fill it up with being taught how to mop floors and make beds wouldn’t it.

we all had careers lessons to deal with future employment and did home economics.

What else do you want to add to your list - learning to drive a HGV? Transferring energy suppliers? Dog walking? Tattoing? Valuing antiques? 

stop being daft.

Edited by Mkapaka
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

Tattoing

Having a tattoo will work to prevent you from getting a job, so obviously should not be part of the curriculum. 

5 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

we all had careers lessons to deal with future employment and did home economics.

No such things existed when I was at school.

2 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Having a tattoo will work to prevent you from getting a job, so obviously should not be part of the curriculum. 

No such things existed when I was at school.

They did when I was - many, many years before you.