King Edwards School - Ofsted Report Failures - Forced Academy Status

3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

No such things existed when I was at school

It’s odd - because they did when I was at school - and also at both my younger brothers schools one of who is 12 years younger than me so would have left school around 2009. And they also exist at my daughters secondary school now.

maybe you’re just assuming your personal experience applies to everyone which it clearly doesn’t.

Edited by Mkapaka
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

It’s odd - because they did when I was at school - and also at both my younger brothers schools one of who is 12 years younger than me so would have left school around 2009. And they also exist at my daughters secondary school now.

maybe you’re just assuming your personal experience applies to everyone which it clearly doesn’t.

I know what my experience was, and you didn't answer the question:- In your experience, all of those years ago in 1997, were you taught about CV writing, how to keep a house clean, how to succeed at job interviews, how to submit tax returns, how to look after mental well-being, how to use formal language in business scenarios? 

I did Home Economics when I was at Ted's (Darwin Lane). Mrs Gelder was the teacher's name (I think?). This was back in '71? '72? Sooooooo long ago. I can still make a pretty damn good fried egg sandwich if I do say so myself.... And sew a button on.

16 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

I know what my experience was, and you didn't answer the question:- In your experience, all of those years ago in 1997, were you taught about CV writing, how to keep a house clean, how to succeed at job interviews, how to submit tax returns, how to look after mental well-being, how to use formal language in business scenarios? 

Ok.

cv - yes in careers 

house cleaning - no. Thankfully my school didn’t waste time showing me how to hoover up etc

job interviews - yes in careers

how to submit tax returns - no. I did maths. 

mental well being - we used to do something called PSE which covered this sort of thing - my daughter still does - it’s called PSHE now.

how to use formal language in business scenarios - no. I did English language.

6 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

Ok.

cv - yes in careers 

house cleaning - no. Thankfully my school didn’t waste time showing me how to hoover up etc

job interviews - yes in careers

how to submit tax returns - no. I did maths. 

mental well being - we used to do something called PSE which covered this sort of thing - my daughter still does - it’s called PSHE now.

how to use formal language in business scenarios - no. I did English language.

There was no careers lessons when I was in school. I had a 5 minute chat with a careers advisor about colleges and that was it. 

House cleaning is important. It was only recently that I learnt it works best to mop from the inner part of the room outwards, and I still haven't fathomed how to clean windows without leaving streaks.

PSHE is only taught up until the GCSE years begin. This is a shame as being 15/16 is quite a difficult time mentally for kids. It's a shame they are just left to get on with it.

It helps to understand how to address and speak with interviewers at job interviews, such as calling them sir, madam, how to showcase one's self in the best light and boast about attributes. >>>>>>>https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4206284/amp/Teenager-devastated-turned-job-text.html This girl here got the p*** taken out of her for not being prepared for the interview, not speaking properly (using "like" at the start of every sentence) and not having a clue how to sell herself in a professional setting.

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

There was no careers lessons when I was in school. I had a 5 minute chat with a careers advisor about colleges and that was it. 

House cleaning is important. It was only recently that I learnt it works best to mop from the inner part of the room outwards, and I still haven't fathomed how to clean windows without leaving streaks.

PSHE is only taught up until the GCSE years begin. This is a shame as being 15/16 is quite a difficult time mentally for kids. It's a shame they are just left to get on with it.

It helps to understand how to address and speak with interviewers at job interviews, such as calling them sir, madam, how to showcase one's self in the best light and boast about attributes. >>>>>>>https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4206284/amp/Teenager-devastated-turned-job-text.html This girl here got the p*** taken out of her for not being prepared for the interview, not speaking properly (using "like" at the start of every sentence) and not having a clue how to sell herself in a professional setting.

What’s your point?

presumably you want lessons on mopping up and window cleaning introduced into schools?

If my daughter came back and said that’s what they’d done in school I’d be a bit concerned.

16 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

What’s your point?

presumably you want lessons on mopping up and window cleaning introduced into schools?

If my daughter came back and said that’s what they’d done in school I’d be a bit concerned.

And what will she do when she goes to University? Most student halls don't have personal cleaners.

My point is that schools should educate students for adult life, including in the subjects mentioned. Qualifications, interview technique and a smart appearance are all important for an affluent future.

4 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

And what will she do when she goes to University? Most student halls don't have personal cleaners.

My point is that schools should educate students for adult life, including in the subjects mentioned. Qualifications, interview technique and a smart appearance are all important for an affluent future.

Hopefully concern themselves with more important things than the correct way to mop a floor, or streaky windows.

• Like 1