Jared O'Mara On Trial - Now Found Guilty

3 minutes ago, Glennis said:

I believe this is why people voted for him (Labour) as people were so angry with Clegg and  ConDem pact with Cameron 

Exactly,  I voted for the Lib Dems for the very first and very last time in that election and then saw that pact unfold.

It's always the case that politician's bring it on themselves because none of them have any principles.

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Not a single person in this thread has admitted they voted for him. He nearly got 22k votes, by the law of averages at least one of those people must also be a member on here.

If I was in his constituency I probably would've voted for him. I would've had no idea he was completely unsuitable to be an MP.

I expect those that did vote for him probably feel let down by him now.

Hopefully what's happened will focus the minds of those who make decisions about who is selected as an MP. 

2 hours ago, Resident said:

How many of those will now claim that he wasn't Labour during this debacle

I think the issue is that he was and is completely unsuitable for the role.

1 hour ago, Jim Hardie said:

Not in this case; his vote was driven by spite against Clegg. 

Not so much spite as frustration at his lying and false promises, no? Still, Clegg stuck to his principles and went and got a big fat salary from a company that makes money from misinformation, neo-Nazi propaganda and incitement to ethnic genocide.

Edited by Delbow

26 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

No idea, assumed it was out after a quarter with another quarter on a tag.

Found the guidance:

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/sentencing-and-the-council/types-of-sentence/determinate-prison-sentences/

So I think that means 2 years in prison, 2 out on license with at least the standard list of conditions.   Not necessarily on a tag, which would mean subject to home detention curfew and a release earlier than the 2 years.   

Actually, looking it up, I'm not sure someone sentenced to 4 years would even be eligible for a tag.

See: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/home-detention-curfew

The scheme allows for the early release of offenders serving sentences of imprisonment of at least 12 weeks but no more than 4 years.

It's not clear from that whether a 4 year sentence would mean eligible or ineligible.  Other sites say ineligible, and that it would have to be less than 4 years.

13 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Not so much spite as frustration at his lying and false promises, no? Still, Clegg stuck to his principles and went and got a big fat salary from a company that makes money from misinformation, neo-Nazi propaganda and incitement to ethnic genocide.

He did infinitely more for Sheffield than the inadequate one now residing in the pokey.

https://www.nickclegg.org.uk/2014/09/08/fixing-sheffields-roads-thanks-to-nick-clegg/

Just now, Jim Hardie said:

He did infinitely more for Sheffield than the inadequate one now residing in the pokey.

https://www.nickclegg.org.uk/2014/09/08/fixing-sheffields-roads-thanks-to-nick-clegg/

Well yes, but that's only clear with the benefit of hindsight. When someone stands for the first time, unless you know them personally then you're obviously taking a chance. People in my area voted for Gill Furniss in 2016 without knowing much about her. No-one knows much about her still, since she seems to do nothing and say nothing, but they weren't to know that then.

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

Well yes, but that's only clear with the benefit of hindsight. When someone stands for the first time, unless you know them personally then you're obviously taking a chance. People in my area voted for Gill Furniss in 2016 without knowing much about her. No-one knows much about her still, since she seems to do nothing and say nothing, but they weren't to know that then.

How much impact do you expect back benchers to have when only about 30 of the 650 hold all the power?

Just now, Delbow said:

I am not that convinced O'Mara's previous behaviour wasn't known about. It is a long time since his 'election', but I seem to recall very early on when it became known he could possibly be standing that there was a long topic on this very forum questioning his suitability - which IIRC - also mentioned he had previous criminal convictions, so another couple added is no surprise.

• Like 1

The sad reality about this is that many local Sheffield folk “about town”knew Omara ‘ s  reputation around the so called pub/club scene and his arrogance etc towards women in particular well before his selection 

it beggars belief that the Labour Party  NEC selected him in the first place as with the izzard situation surely there was a better local candidate? Do they not know how to surf the net vis a proper background check? 

seeing a re run of his interview by look north at forge dam cafe made me wonder what the bunch of banner waving Labour members backing him up think about it now? 

• Like 3