Uk Asylum System. Fit For Purpose?

5 minutes ago, Axe said:

Thank you for your input.  I wrongly assumed he was a US citizen given his age and the amount of time he spent in a US prison.

I am not advocating other country's law are applied in the UK.  I am advocating if a person is refused asylum in one European country then they should be automatically refused asylum in the UK.  There is a difference between other country's laws and decisions not to grant asylum.

What if their asylum claim was rejected because of something that is legal in this country, say for example them being a Christian, wouldn't that effectively be applying another country's laws in this one?

5 minutes ago, altus said:

What if their asylum claim was rejected because of something that is legal in this country, say for example them being a Christian, wouldn't that effectively be applying another country's laws in this one?

I am not interested in  the reason why their claim was rejected in another European country.  I am interested in the huge cost it is to the UK taxpayer to accommodate and look after asylum seekers.  It is time our government prioritised looking after UK citizens born and bread here especially at a time when there is a cost of living and energy crisis.

1 minute ago, Axe said:

I am not interested in  the reason why their claim was rejected in another European country.  I am interested in the huge cost it is to the UK taxpayer to accommodate and look after asylum seekers.  It is time our government prioritised looking after UK citizens born and bread here especially at a time when there is a cost of living and energy crisis.

So you're happy for other countries' laws to be applied in this country rather than our own. Nobody is suggesting we should just let them in, just that we should apply our laws rather than those of another country.

21 minutes ago, altus said:

So you're happy for other countries' laws to be applied in this country rather than our own. Nobody is suggesting we should just let them in, just that we should apply our laws rather than those of another country.

The problem is we are just letting them in at the moment resulting in people born and bred in the UK being murdered.

47 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Ahhhh, trying to deflect from the story in the opening posts I see.

Because there not a single side

like this on the flip side (ignore its Owen jones, listen to what the anti human trafficker is saying)

5 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Thats just , a justified dig at the government . What would you do with asylum seekers ?

Keep doing what we are doing. Processing them as we should, regardless of how they came in or where they come from.

However, we throw more resources at the enforcement side, so when someone's claim has been refused and they've lost any appeals, they are on the next flight to x country. That's the problem we face now. 

1 minute ago, Delayed said:

Keep doing what we are doing. Processing them as we should, regardless of how they came in or where they come from.

However, we throw more resources at the enforcement side, so when someone's claim has been refused and they've lost any appeals, they are on the next flight to x country. That's the problem we face now. 

Appeals can go on years and what happens in the meantime , free to walk the streets ?

• Like 1