Mot's Every Two Years? good or bad idea?

1 hour ago, Axe said:

It will make more sense to bring mileage into the equation for when MOT's are due.  For private vehicles I suggest every two years or every 10 thousand miles to be adopted.

The mileage is nowhere near as important as the type of driving that the car has experienced.

Two year MOTs are a stupid idea. One year is just about acceptable, but drivers should also have to display evidence that their car is taxed, tested and insured.

14 minutes ago, sibon said:

The mileage is nowhere near as important as the type of driving that the car has experienced.

Two year MOTs are a stupid idea. One year is just about acceptable, but drivers should also have to display evidence that their car is taxed, tested and insured.

Display evidence where? All that information is readily available to the authorities (i.e. the police) if they so wish anyway

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Display evidence where? All that information is readily available to the authorities (i.e. the police) if they so wish anyway

We used to have these stickers in cars….

4 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

I used to have this sticker in my car 

Screenshot-20230124-224456.jpg

My Uncle Charlie is a cynical man

And his wife’s a touch sceptical too

He’s got one of those stickers in the back of his van

It says “ we’ve seen the prices at the zoo”

3 hours ago, rudds1 said:

I was lead to believe taxis have to have 2 council mots a year plus a normal one but I’ve got a question for you.   Are both the 6 months tests recorded online like a normal mot    Ie if I was to think about buying an what I thought was an ex taxi but seller says it’s not been a taxi could I see if it’s had 2 mots a year by looking on the gov site. Hope that makes sense  

Perfect sense, I know what you mean. 

The council are the ONLY people who can MoT a Sheffield taxi. They cannot go to a regular MoT station. 

It's actually two things, a regular MoT, and what's called a compliance test, which is like an extended MoT. So they do a regular MoT, but also it has to pass a 'compliance test' which includes things like all the seat belts and door handles, window winders/electric windows, signage, door reflecting lights, windows light tint percentage, etc. 

They are recorded, so you will see on the MoT DLVA that it was tested twice a year. 

This isn't for all taxis though, but is for Sheffield ones.

3 hours ago, Axe said:

It will make more sense to bring mileage into the equation for when MOT's are due.  For private vehicles I suggest every two years or every 10 thousand miles to be adopted.

I think it's too easy to fake/falsify mileages. I'm not sure these days. 

In my day, if a car said 30k, but the accelator and brake were worn out, you know it was fake! :hihi:

3 hours ago, Axe said:

Fraud aside, I think the problem with mileage allowance like this, would lead to rarely used cars, that are potentially dangerous avoiding MoT.

For example, when I was last driving a taxi, I had a private car aswell that I never used, and basically the brakes, pipes, etc. all got quite rusted. 

I think the current rules are good. Once a year seems reasonable to me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sibon said:

I agree vehicles should also display evidence of tax, mot and insurance.  In the past a valid tax disc could not be obtained unless the vehicle was taxed, tested and insured.   It was a mistake to abolish tax discs and just rely on a data base to track vehicles that are not taxed, tested or insured.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Axe said:

I agree vehicles should also display evidence of tax, mot and insurance.  

Again, why? Its all on computer. Drive past a police car with ANPR activated and it flags up.

In the year 2023 we really dont need a paper based system to make a comeback and its clearly not the way the wind is blowing.

Edited by HeHasRisen