Mot's Every Two Years? good or bad idea?

9 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

I think the current rules are good. Once a year seems reasonable to me. 

Same

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Again, why? Its all on computer. Drive past a police car with ANPR activated and it flags up.

Appreciate not MOT, but...

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-10257953/Car-tax-evasion-hits-record-high-seven-years-paper-discs-axed.html

17 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Again, why? Its all on computer. Drive past a police car with ANPR activated and it flags up.

In the year 2023 we really dont need a paper based system to make a comeback and its clearly not the way the wind is blowing.

Traffic wardens  noticed if a car was not displaying a tax disc or was displaying an out of date tax.  Also next door neighbours and work colleagues noticed if a car was not displaying a valid tax disc.  With the abolishment of tax discs it is easier for drivers to go un noticed if they are not taxed or insured.  A paper based system with a displayed tax disc and a data base would be a belt and braces approach.

5 minutes ago, Axe said:

Traffic wardens  noticed if a car was not displaying a tax disc or was displaying an out of date tax.  Also next door neighbours and work colleagues noticed if a car was not displaying a valid tax disc.  With the abolishment of tax discs it is easier for drivers to go un noticed if they are not taxed or insured.  A paper based system with a displayed tax disc and a data base would be a belt and braces approach.

there's anpr camera's all over the shop, every main road, every supermarket. the days of needing a snitch to do their dirty work are long gone

if they want to raise revenue, they should put it on petrol, or charging points, or purchase price, or mot's and stop meddling in our lives

Edited by fools

6 minutes ago, Axe said:

Well in theory this is bull given the ANPR thing, so baffling to see why the figures are as high as they are.

Also, try reporting a car for having no tax and see how long it takes for anyone to do anything about it, assuming they dont spend weeks and months passing the buck with you first.

Anyway, what do you think traffic wardens did when they saw an out of date tax disc? Was reporting these to DVLA part of their remit? @Planner1 may know.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, fools said:

there's camera's all over the shop, every main road, every supermarket. the days of needing a snitch to do their dirty work are long gone

Do these cameras alone result in uninsured drivers being caught?

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Well in theory this is bull given the ANPR thing, so baffling to see why the figures are as high as they are.

Also, try reporting a car for having no tax and see how long it takes for anyone to do anything about it, assuming they dont spend weeks and months passing the buck with you first.

My point is if a visual display of a tax disc was still required I believe fewer drivers would take the risk of driving a vehicle on the road which was not taxed or insured.

1 minute ago, Axe said:

My point is if a visual display of a tax disc was still required I believe fewer drivers would take the risk of driving a vehicle on the road which was not taxed or insured.

it just confirms most people are idiots then. All those cameras about the place, ever more than before, yet they think they are fine as there is no visual confirmation on the dash anymore.