'Individuals Should Not Be Responsible For Being Obese'

I spent most of my waking life on my feet, it’s only since I retired that I spend so much time on my backside. I drink and eat far less than I did, however I’m two stones too heavy, I have a theory that constantly worrying about work, money and family kept me at a decent weight, now that I have nothing to worry about it coincides with my weight.

Edited by crookesey

I've not read all the thread, so apologies in advance if this has already been posted.

When I see quite a few obese children, I just wonder about the role of parents in all this. And I don't think "uggh dreadful parents" etc, because I know for a lot of people, life is complicated. 

I wonder if biological factors such as eating habits set in the early years impacts on a person's propensity to obesity later in life?

Edited by Mister M

43 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I've not read all the thread, so apologies in advance if this has already been posted.

When I see quite a few obese children, I just wonder about the role of parents in all this. And I don't think "uggh dreadful parents" etc, because I know for a lot of people, life is complicated. 

I wonder if biological factors such as eating habits set in the early years impacts on a person's propensity to obesity later in life?

I don't know. As children, we were not a rich family by any means, even back then. However, we were not fed badly, just wholesomely, and I, as the smallest of my siblings, used to eat them under the table. However, until I was around 58/59 I was never above 7.1/2 stone - dripping wet. These past 9 or 10 years, I  have put on ~2 stone, even though I am much more active AND I tend not to eat as much.

I am not fat, either, although I do have a bit of a paunch.

9 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I don't know. As children, we were not a rich family by any means, even back then. However, we were not fed badly, just wholesomely, and I, as the smallest of my siblings, used to eat them under the table. However, until I was around 58/59 I was never above 7.1/2 stone - dripping wet. These past 9 or 10 years, I  have put on ~2 stone, even though I am much more active AND I tend not to eat as much.

I am not fat, either, although I do have a bit of a paunch.

After a tendency to gain weight, even after skipping as many meals as I could, I found out I was doing it all wrong.

So my advice is eat regular meals 3 or4 times a day, and drink lots of water, keeps the hunger pangs down. Don't go grocery shopping when hungry, and don't be scared of an occasional treat of you favourite comfort food! You'll find that you are not thinking about food all the time.

Now I'm back to my teenage fighting weight.

3 hours ago, trastrick said:

After a tendency to gain weight, even after skipping as many meals as I could, I found out I was doing it all wrong.

So my advice is eat regular meals 3 or4 times a day, and drink lots of water, keeps the hunger pangs down. Don't go grocery shopping when hungry, and don't be scared of an occasional treat of you favourite comfort food! You'll find that you are not thinking about food all the time.

Now I'm back to my teenage fighting weight.

I eat twice a day, get plenty of exercise, drink regularly, and only go grocery shopping when needed - usually once a week, after my main meal. I am not thinking about food all the time- more often drinking.

FYI, for my frame, according to my doctor I am now at a sensible weight.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I eat twice a day, get plenty of exercise, drink regularly, and only go grocery shopping when needed - usually once a week, after my main meal. I am not thinking about food all the time- more often drinking.

FYI, for my frame, according to my doctor I am now at a sensible weight.

Well done, but I'll mention again the importance of drinking water in a regular basis, for good health generally, and for tummy problems in particular.

(If water cost 10 quid a glass, it would be flogged on TV, as the "magic bullet" diet aid)

• 3 months later...

OMG ! ! !

More of this type of madness.

Where has personal responsibility gone ?

The Times 24 Jul 23 (p12)

It's your job to help staff stay healthy, employers are told

Weight-loss programmes and lunchtime exercise classes should be offered by employers to help tackle obesity and boost economic productivity, research suggests.

There is a growing expectation among Britons that their workplaces will take responsibility for keeping them healthy, a study by the health insurance firm Vitality showed.

As an aside, I assume the staff in favour of this would accept the cost coming out of their salary ? If not directly, how about in lieu of their next pay rise ?