'Individuals Should Not Be Responsible For Being Obese'

47 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

OMG ! ! !

More of this type of madness.

Where has personal responsibility gone ?

The Times 24 Jul 23 (p12)

It's your job to help staff stay healthy, employers are told

Weight-loss programmes and lunchtime exercise classes should be offered by employers to help tackle obesity and boost economic productivity, research suggests.

There is a growing expectation among Britons that their workplaces will take responsibility for keeping them healthy, a study by the health insurance firm Vitality showed.

As an aside, I assume the staff in favour of this would accept the cost coming out of their salary ? If not directly, how about in lieu of their next pay rise ?

I think you've missed something important. Try thinking of it as "Business health insurance company advises its customers to do something to reduce the amount it has to pay out." Pure capitalism at work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

OMG ! ! !

More of this type of madness.

The Times 24 Jul 23 (p12)

It's your job to help staff stay healthy, employers are told

Weight-loss programmes and lunchtime exercise classes should be offered by employers to help tackle obesity and boost economic productivity, research suggests.

There is a growing expectation among Britons that their workplaces will take responsibility for keeping them healthy, a study by the health insurance firm Vitality showed.

As an aside, I assume the staff in favour of this would accept the cost coming out of their salary ? If not directly, how about in lieu of their next pay rise ?

When I read your posts, it makes me wonder whether Charles Dickens found the secret of time travel and jumped forwards a couple of hundred years.

I think that Ebeneezer Scrooge, from Dickens,  "A Christmas Carol"  was based on you and your care for the poor people in your employ.

Unfortunately,  Dickens  story varies from yours because Scrooge eventually saw the light and sent  Bob Cratchit a Christmas turkey whilst I would think your workers would get theirs from Aldi or a food bank.

You do come across as a shining example of humanity NOT and I think the government should legislate to make every employer visit the Ghosts of Christmas past.

23 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

You do come across as a shining example of humanity NOT and I think the government should legislate to make every employer visit the Ghosts of Christmas past.

You do not realise what a hypocrite you are saying that.

You are saying the more we tell people how to live their lives, or even better force them to, the better it is.

And you think that is being "humane".

Typical Leftie authoritarian.

On 25/07/2023 at 15:04, altus said:

I think you've missed something important. Try thinking of it as "Business health insurance company advises its customers to do something to reduce the amount it has to pay out." Pure capitalism at work.

I have the whole article in front of me here, more :

A survey of 2000 office workers found that 30% wanted to relinquish some responsibility for their health to their employer.

Some 69% would like their employer to do more to help with health and well being.

As an aside, I assume the staff in favour of this would accept the cost coming out of their salary ? If not directly, how about in lieu of their next pay rise ?

Edited by Chekhov

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You do not realise what a hypocrite you are saying that.

You are saying the more we tell people how to live their lives, or even better force them to, the better it is.

And you think that is being "humane".

Typical Leftie authoritarian.

I thought you might disagree with that   but

I am saying,  like you do,  what I think,  like you do   and

Very fortunately,  I think opposite to you.

We know you don't like rules, authority etc. but most others,  like I do,  see the need for them

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I have the whole article in front of me here, more :

A survey of 2000 office workers found that 30% wanted to relinquish some responsibility for their health to their employer.

Some 69% would like their employer to do more to help with health and well being.

How was the survey conducted (did the insurance company define the questions for example)? What questions were asked? Would the insurance company's interpretation of the results (which just happens to match something that would be beneficial to them) match that of someone without a vested interest in the claimed results? Is the article just a puff piece based on a press release from the insurance company?

As an aside, I assume the staff in favour of this would accept the cost coming out of their salary ? If not directly, how about in lieu of their next pay rise ?

If their employers chose to implement something suggested by an insurance company why should it? (If it was the employees' suggestion rather than the insurance company's you might have a point, but it's not.)

7 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Anyone watch " my 600 pound life"?

The answer to the question is right there.

There has to be someone supporting them, a feeder. When they become so obese that they cannot work, surely the NHS or local council should put their best interests first and make sure they slim down.

In a few decades those that support the obese by feeding them large amounts will be considered abusers.

17 minutes ago, El Cid said:

There has to be someone supporting them, a feeder. When they become so obese that they cannot work, surely the NHS or local council should put their best interests first and make sure they slim down.

In a few decades those that support the obese by feeding them large amounts will be considered abusers.

You are indeed correct in a lot of cases, their partners are responsible for feeding them as they want them to remain that obese.

The folk on that show are the extreme cases however and do need professional help, IMO, however, other folk in the main who are not as obese are just lazy and eat too much crap.