Sheffield City Hall / Ticketmaster : E Ticket Cannot Be Printed Out !

Chekhov

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well this is it isnt it, you have kept an effort to keep up, and a lot of people clearly cant be arsed or just dont want to.

I am 40 and would hate to be double the age I am now and be out of touch. 

Must admit though, I've been involved with computers/networks &c for 45+ years - way before they were mainstream, but they have always been a 'tool' for me, and I have no formal training, although I was 'IT Support' at my employers before the term had been invented - along with my 'proper' job/s.

5 hours ago, Anna B said:

I have had the same problems as Chekov with tickets, and no longer go to any venue that won't supply tickets either with a phonecall or through the post. I also met with problems trying to get repeat prescriptions online, pay my gas bill online, talk to an actual person regarding a problem with my TV, and trying to get my computer to do anything simple ('computer says no.')

And have recently spent a bewildering time trying to buy airplane tickets, (again had to be done online) and don't get me started on problems at the airport.... 

Has all this digital automation made anything cheaper or easier? 

Don't be silly... 

Yes, massively.  The evidence of which is shown all over the high Street.  The dominance of Amazon and online supermarkets. The existence of budget airlines.  The existence of services like Megabus and Megatrain.  The ability to check in  for flights online, breeze through the airport using a QR code, quickly deal with baggage and get on with the rest of our day. The huge savings to businesses and suppliers by having major elements of their operations, automated and computer controlled removing the necessity of vast amounts of personnel and paperwork.  The ability for many businesses to now operate 24/7 opening and great convenience to us customers who don't fit into the ye olde 9 to 5, mon-fri regime.....

You do seem to be extremely unfortunate having soooo many problems with seemingly every aspect of modern technology. Are you sure it's really all about the kit and not perhaps the user?   

This is not some new fangled concept. Heavens sake broadband internet alone has been mainstream in many people's homes for nearly 15 years.  Dial up started to come on the scene in people's homes nearly 30 years ago.   The early versions of online shopping and banking have been in existence since the 1990s.  Even back in the Teletext days, tele-sales of certain products and services were available all using electronic transactions and credit cards.

Of course you are free to boycott a business all you want. But in my opinion all you're doing is inconveniencing yourself.  Its estimated that over a quarter of all global transactions these days are made online. That stat includes third world countries who barely have electricity let alone internet.  So that's 2.1 billion online transactions that us westernised world is embracing.  E-commerce and electronic transactions are not going to be slowing down.

Even the most elderly and vulnerable luddite has over the years had to embrace change.  Concepts like ATM machines replacing the nice friendly bank clerk, self service supermarkets replacing Arkwrights Store.  They've managed through the shock of cheques being replaced by plastic debit cards. They had to learn to adapt to that really complicated thing of using a chip+pin machine rather than signing a receipt. They've had their old paper bus passes replaced by contactless cards and somehow managed. They've survived the great revolution between rotary dial phones, cordless phones and shock horror mobiles. They coped.  They battled through the disruption as their simple television with five channels became replaced by some digital box witchcraft and it's electronic program guide yet still manage to tune into the Antiques Roadshow without a crisis.

Life evolves.  Technology evolves.  Always has done and there are no excuses to choosing to be left behind.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

You do know its illegal to add a card surcharge on, dont you?

Why is it ? But even if it was I'd just say sorry you'll have to go and get the cash, though, possibly surprisingly, we have never had anyone complain about a 50p card surcharge on orders under £5.

What is the point in us selling something we might make hardly anything on ? In fact if it were a £1 plug (our minimum receipt amount) we may actually lose money on it ! No thanks, go to Wilko and buy one of their inferior plugs.

12 hours ago, Resident said:

As well as minimum spend amounts. 

Could be wrong but I think it was Feb 2018 the law changed 

If such a ludicrous law exists I'd just refuse the sale, no shop has to sell anything.

Edited by Chekhov

10 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes, massively.  The evidence of which is shown all over the high Street.  The dominance of Amazon and online supermarkets. The existence of budget airlines.  The existence of services like Megabus and Megatrain.  The ability to check in  for flights online, breeze through the airport using a QR code, quickly deal with baggage and get on with the rest of our day. The huge savings to businesses and suppliers by having major elements of their operations, automated and computer controlled removing the necessity of vast amounts of personnel and paperwork.  The ability for many businesses to now operate 24/7 opening and great convenience to us customers who don't fit into the ye olde 9 to 5, mon-fri regime.....

You do seem to be extremely unfortunate having soooo many problems with seemingly every aspect of modern technology. Are you sure it's really all about the kit and not perhaps the user?   

This is not some new fangled concept. Heavens sake broadband internet alone has been mainstream in many people's homes for nearly 15 years.  Dial up started to come on the scene in people's homes nearly 30 years ago.   The early versions of online shopping and banking have been in existence since the 1990s.  Even back in the Teletext days, tele-sales of certain products and services were available all using electronic transactions and credit cards.

Of course you are free to boycott a business all you want. But in my opinion all you're doing is inconveniencing yourself.  Its estimated that over a quarter of all global transactions these days are made online. That stat includes third world countries who barely have electricity let alone internet.  So that's 2.1 billion online transactions that us westernised world is embracing.  E-commerce and electronic transactions are not going to be slowing down.

Even the most elderly and vulnerable luddite has over the years had to embrace change.  Concepts like ATM machines replacing the nice friendly bank clerk, self service supermarkets replacing Arkwrights Store.  They've managed through the shock of cheques being replaced by plastic debit cards. They had to learn to adapt to that really complicated thing of using a chip+pin machine rather than signing a receipt. They've had their old paper bus passes replaced by contactless cards and somehow managed. They've survived the great revolution between rotary dial phones, cordless phones and shock horror mobiles. They coped.  They battled through the disruption as their simple television with five channels became replaced by some digital box witchcraft and it's electronic program guide yet still manage to tune into the Antiques Roadshow without a crisis.

Life evolves.  Technology evolves.  Always has done and there are no excuses to choosing to be left behind.

I refer to my earlier answer :

I can assure you 100% that digital automation has made life MORE complicated, not simpler.

It ****es me off I have to be an expert in soddin' IT to run my business. I don't mean doing my website, I accept that if one decides to have a website one has to be knowledgeable about that, but, now, just to get the effin' phones and card machine working we have to know all about routers and how to reboot them, get into the menus, alter the passwords etc etc.

Similarly, just off the top of my head, if we needed to use the Thames crossing to get to Kent one cannot just pay with cash, one has to book / pay for it Online.

The stories are endless.

15 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Why is it ? But even if it was I'd just say sorry you'll have to go and get the cash, though, possibly surprisingly, we have never had anyone complain about a 50p card surcharge on orders under £5.

What is the point in us selling something we might make hardly anything on ? In fact if it were a £1 plug (our minimum receipt amount) we may actually lose money on it ! No thanks, go to Wilko and buy one of their inferior plugs.

If such a ludicrous law exists I'd just refuse the sale, no shop has to sell anything.

My mistake. 

Surcharges are illegal as of 13/01/18 so you've been operating illegally since then in terms of charging for card use.  However minimum card spends are not (yet) banned in the UK (it is in Europe) However ALL the major card payment facilitators prohibit minimum card spend in their terms of service. 

12 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

None of which explains why there is not an option to print out the ticket :)

You'd think that with technology 'evolving' so wonderfully that things would be improving rather than going backwards- a print option is not a difficult thing to provide, is it?

10 minutes ago, onewheeldave said:

None of which explains why there is not an option to print out the ticket :)

You'd think that with technology 'evolving' so wonderfully that things would be improving rather than going backwards- a print option is not a difficult thing to provide, is it?

Quite obviously they dont want people to bother with printouts so have disabled the option...its not tricky to circumvent this though.

2 hours ago, Resident said:

My mistake. 

Surcharges are illegal as of 13/01/18 so you've been operating illegally since then in terms of charging for card use.  However minimum card spends are not (yet) banned in the UK (it is in Europe) However ALL the major card payment facilitators prohibit minimum card spend in their terms of service. 

So what do you want me to do about it ?

Charge the customer £5 for a £1 plug ?

Or just turn down the sale which I am perfectly at liberty to do ?  To be frank I'm not going to lose any sleep over the profit on a £1 plug. I guarantee you one thing the customer won't be happy about it though.

Why don't they just pay for a £1 purchase with cash like a normal person would.

But how can they have the right to tell me how I can sell my own stock ? This is supposed to be a free market not a command economy.

Supplementary point your honour : this is yet another example of yet more regulation.

What was I saying about modern life becoming MORE complicated ?

How long will it be before they regulate "congress" ?

Well your options are to take the payment on a card without adding anything on, or refuse to take the sale on a card.

Thats it.

"Normal people" in the year 2023 dont carry cash btw - this was from 2 years ago, I suspect the figures now would be even more skewed in the favour of cashless....

https://news.samsung.com/uk/cash-is-checking-out-as-more-than-half-of-brits-dont-carry-it-according-to-new-research#:~:text=In fact%2C only 14 percent,using cash routinely these days.

Edited by HeHasRisen