Sheffield City Hall / Ticketmaster : E Ticket Cannot Be Printed Out !

Chekhov

12 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

What about the other part of it. Have you  stopped to think what less cash means? No worries about floats or counting or managing or transporting all these notes and coins. No trips to the bank required. Less security risk. Less bookkeeping as there are systems available which make it almost automatic and connected  directly to your card machine. Takings information all available at the click of a mouse.  Businesses being able to set up shop almost anywhere with nothing more than a small card reader and a mobile phone. Most people see that as things becoming easier and better. 

I would agree depending on how much it is.

It's horses for courses.

It would be inconvenient if people were paying for £100 orders with cash, but hardly anyone does that.

On the other hand, for a £1 order, cash is far more convenient.

We need a bit of cash through the till anyway, for petty cash purchases. For instance, I don't want to be buying the weeks milk by card.

I almost always buy stuff over £20 by card, but under £10 it's almost always with cash.

13 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I would agree depending on how much it is.

It's horses for courses.

It would be inconvenient if people were paying for £100 orders with cash, but hardly anyone does that.

On the other hand, for a £1 order, cash is far more convenient.

We need a bit of cash through the till anyway, for petty cash purchases. For instance, I don't want to be buying the weeks milk by card.

I almost always buy stuff over £20 by card, but under £10 it's almost always with cash.

That makes no sense. It's exactly the same transaction process and exactly the same 'effort' whether it's £1000, £100 or a penny.

Why do you need petty cash for purchases?  If you are buying ad hoc items from another shop, just use your card like you would do with any other transaction. All the business bank accounts offer some form of debit or credit card with them. Same with the milk, companies offer accounts which can be paid by BACS or direct debit transfer every week or month.

You clearly seem happy buying stuff over £20 with a card. I really don't see why you have a problem doing exactly the same for stuff under £10.  

Everybody else has more than embraced it and the only person setting some mythical arbitrary minimum limit is you.  Just like whole printing tickets and threats of boycotting companies arguments raised on the thread - all seems to smack of, the only person choosing to be inconvenienced is themselves.

20 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

That makes no sense. It's exactly the same transaction process and exactly the same 'effort' whether it's £1000, £100 or a penny.

You what !

Are you seriously saying it makes sense to pay for a 1p purchase with card ? Both for the shop and the customer ? In the case of the latter I can only assume they never check their bank accounts, cluttered up as they would be with 1p purchases....

Or a £1000 purchase with cash ? ! ?

Edited by Chekhov

4 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

You what !

Are you seriously saying it makes sense to pay for a 1p purchase with card ? Both for the shop and the customer ? In the case of the latter I can only assume they never check their bank accounts, cluttered up as they would be with 1p purchases....

Or a £1000 purchase with cash ? ! ?

Paying in cash - customer goes into their wallet, gives person the money

Paying by card - customer goes into their wallet, wafts card on machine

You make it sound like making card payments are some fiendishly difficult procedure only an Enigma machine can deal with ffs.

Edited by HeHasRisen

20 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Why do you need petty cash for purchases?  If you are buying ad hoc items from another shop, just use your card like you would do with any other transaction. All the business bank accounts offer some form of debit or credit card with them. Same with the milk, companies offer accounts which can be paid by BACS or direct debit transfer every week or month.

No well run business would pay for a pint of milk with a company debit card, quite part from anything they'd get charged 35p in fees for doing so by their bank.

I don't think you've read my posts have you ?

My bank charges me 35p for all digital transactions BACS, card purchases and DDs. I would expect it'd be the same for pretty much all other business accounts.

Plus, of course, a well run business checks its bank statement (for example to ensure all transactions have been put through the books as allowable expenses) and if its stuffed with loads of extra ones (for a pint of milk or whatever), it obviously makes that a more time consuming process.

32 minutes ago, Meltman said:

I regularly see motorists paying by card for the toll at Dunham Bridge and that's 40p. I'd be surprised if the bridge company are only making 5p out of that transaction. 

That toll bridge didnt have a card reader for years. Suddently, it does. What does that tell Chekhov?

I can go into Asda and buy a tin of chopped tomatoes for 32p, they wont be making -3p, they will have arranged a volume deal. If he is being charged 35p he needs to change business account tbh.

Edited by HeHasRisen

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

That toll bridge didnt have a card reader for years. Suddently, it does. What does that tell Chekhov?

I can go into Asda and buy a tin of chopped tomatoes for 32p, they wont be making -3p, they will have arranged a volume deal. If he is being charged 35p he needs to change business account tbh.

I recently bought a 1p chew from the Asda & paid by card - I repeated the process 1,000,000 times - my sweeties cost the Asda £340,000

Mwah, ha, haaaaaaa

PS would anyone like to buy a million Penny Chews - cash only please

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Paying in cash - customer goes into their wallet, gives person the money

Paying by card - customer goes into their wallet, wafts card on machine

You make it sound like making card payments are some fiendishly difficult procedure only an Enigma machine can deal with ffs.

You miss the points entirely.

1 - Businesses have to pay fees to the card transaction company.

2 - Businesses (though I think it is good practice for everyone actually) should check their bank statements regularly, loads of small card payments make that much more problematic.

3 - Businesses have to pay for every transaction on their bank account, I pay 35p each, that is for literally everything (apart from transfers between my own bank accounts).

I would agree that for private individuals, who never check their bank statements and are happy to avoid many small traders who only accept cash, use your card if that's what you want.

Edited by Chekhov

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

You miss the points entirely.

1 - Businesses have to pay fees to the card transaction company.

2 - Businesses (though I think it is good practice for everyone actually) should check their bank statements regularly, loads of small card payments make that much more problematic.

3 - Businesses have to pay for every transaction on their bank account, I pay 35p each.

...none of which the consumer gives a rats arse about bar #2, I have my banking apps open multiple times a day, small transactions dont bother me. The days of getting a bank statement in the post 6 weeks after you make transactions, and you have to pour over them all, isnt a "thing" anymore except for those stuck in the dark ages either by choice or disability.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1