How Many Sheffielders Will Be Helping Mr Hunt?

12 hours ago, bassett one said:

mr hunt wants pensioners to go back to work as soon as possible,your country needs you ,disabled pensioners also wanted as the country has no workers,well i am not going back ,i say thats what job centres are for ,but how many in sheffield will be heeding his call?

Why should pensioners want to help Mr Hunt or the Tories out? 

What has he/they ever done for them? 

Apart from raise the pension age from 60 to 68 for women, made despicable changes to disadvantage the disabled and carers, ruined the NHS, filled nursing homes with covid patients, closed down facilities like libraries and social lifelines like transport, made pensioners poorer and more disenfranchised than ever, and generally just never given a toss about them.

There's absolutely no good will left between the government and the people.

It ran out long ago.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

Why should pensioners want to help Mr Hunt or the Tories out? 

What has he/they ever done for them? 

Apart from raise the pension age from 60 to 68 for women, made despicable changes to disadvantage the disabled and carers, ruined the NHS, filled nursing homes with covid patients, closed down facilities like libraries and social lifelines like transport, made pensioners poorer and more disenfranchised than ever, and generally just never given a toss about them.

There's absolutely no good will left between the government and the people.

It ran out long ago.

My bold. 

Neither sex is currently required in the UK to work beyond 67 years of age - unless they want too.   Additionally the retirement age of 67 is only for those born between 6 March 1961 – 5 April 1977. 

Of course the retirement age will rise as people are living longer & therefore pensions & retired pensioners need to be provided for.   I reckon a 16 entering the workplace now will probably have to work until they're about 73 years old eventually? 

I was watching a BBC programme the other night with Jon Snow about people living to 100 & he was in Japan & they are now encouraging senior citizens & the retired into what is termed 'Further, further education' whereby you had a career & if you fancy coming out of retirement & being of use again to society, the education & retraining is their for you to get back into the workplace.

Edited by Baron99

I have to agree there are plenty of able bodied people under pensionable age who can not be bothered to work and are happy to scrounge of others. They should be forced to go out and work. 

of course the government is not helped by the fact that it’s immigration policy is partly to blame for labour shortages 

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Neither sex is currently required in the UK to work beyond 67 years of age - unless they want too.   Additionally the retirement age of 67 is only for those born between 6 March 1961 – 5 April 1977. 

Of course the retirement age will rise as people are living longer & therefore pensions & retired pensioners need to be provided for.   I reckon a 16 entering the workplace now will probably have to work until they're about 73 years old eventually? 

I was watching a BBC programme the other night with Jon Snow about people living to 100 & he was in Japan & they are now encouraging senior citizens & the retired into what is termed 'Further, further education' whereby you had a career & if you fancy coming out of retirement & being of use again to society, the education & retraining is their for you to get back into the workplace.

Except that not everyone is living longer.

People in Northumberland live on average a lot less years than the well heeled living in London. 

And poor people live an average of 10 years less than the wealthy, whose life expectancy is still only 84. 

As for the differences between here and Japan, don't get me started. An unemployed man or woman  in their late fifties or sixties here will find it exceedingly difficult to find further well paid work, and will probably be unable to keep up with his young colleagues in badly paid work that requires speed, stamina and mental agility.

They will also probably be unable to claim any unemployment benefit.  

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Except that not everyone is living longer.

People in Northumberland live on average a lot less years than the well heeled living in London. 

And poor people live an average of 10 years less than the wealthy, whose life expectancy is still only 84. 

As for the differences between here and Japan, don't get me started. An unemployed man or woman  in their late fifties or sixties here will find it exceedingly difficult to find further well paid work, and will probably be unable to keep up with his young colleagues in badly paid work that requires speed, stamina and mental agility.

They will also probably be unable to claim any unemployment benefit.  

I fully agree.

It must also be taken into account, the various old age problems that many or even most suffer.

Arthritis, poor circulation & breathing etc makes it hard to work and we all know that, once the government get some people working, that will then, become the norm.

SO what do we do to get in the crops,labouring jobs and the other shortages of staff,it seems fair that the older people of sheffield have said no to going back to work,so what do we do ? invite our friends from abroad in to work? but what about those signing on? what is the answer?

19 hours ago, pattricia said:

I don’t know about going back to work ( nursing) but after voting Conservative all my life I shall now be voting Labour at the next election.

For all those years did you think that you were not working class?

There was a bloke that worked with us in heavy industry in Sheffield. He voted labour. Then some years later, he bought his house under the Thatcher right to buy discount scheme and saw himself as  a different class and voted conservative:shakes:  I doubt he started shopping at Waitose because he was a bit of a tight wad. 

Here is the issue. It takes a lot of working class people to vote conservative for that party to get in.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mart said:

For all those years did you think that you were not working class?

There was a bloke that worked with us in heavy industry in Sheffield. He voted labour. Then some years later, he bought his house under the Thatcher right to buy discount scheme and saw himself as  a different class and voted conservative:shakes:  I doubt he started shopping at Waitose because he was a bit of a tight wad. 

Here is the issue. It takes a lot of working class people to vote conservative for that party to get in.

I always find it amusing 'Mi' grandad voted Labour.  Mi' mam & dad voted Labour, so I vote Labour', like wearing some kind of badge of honour or tbe Monty Python's four Yorkshireman sketch, trying to prove how poor you are.   It's strange that you don't get anyone saying my descendents voted Conservative, Lib Dem, Green etc, so that's why I vote that way? 

It's also like saying a cleaner should only vote Labour;  a businessman should only vote Tory & a lecturer should only vote Lib Dem.  Why limit yourself. 

Surely any smart person should look & assess where they are in life when a Gen. Election comes round & vote for the Party that will help them up the ladder or guarantee to maintain their lifestyle & preserve their finances? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

I always find it amusing 'Mi' grandad voted Labour.  Mi' mam & dad voted Labour, so I vote Labour', like wearing some kind of badge of honour or tbe Monty Python's four Yorkshireman sketch, trying to prove how poor you are.   It's strange that you don't get anyone saying my descendents voted Conservative, Lib Dem, Green etc, so that's why I vote that way? 

It's also like saying a cleaner should only vote Labour;  a businessman should only vote Tory & a lecturer should only vote Lib Dem.  Why limit yourself. 

Surely any smart person should look & assess where they are in life when a Gen. Election comes round & vote for the Party that will help them up the ladder or guarantee to maintain their lifestyle & preserve their finances? 

That's what they do.  It explains why so many don't vote at all.  They are not too idle, as the politician's think.

49 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

A bit of generalisation there, Baron99.

I’ve lived a sizeable chunk of my life down south or in rural areas where voting Conservative is seen as a family tradition.

Before he retired, my brother in law worked on the bin lorries. He’s always been a staunch tory voter – as was his father before him.