How Many Sheffielders Will Be Helping Mr Hunt?

11 minutes ago, bassett one said:

well they have said they are looking to  increase the amount that people can keep on universal credit,thus enticing more to work and some to work say 30 hours instead of 16 hours,but i agree it must be made worth there while. why not train the long term employed as well and if it all fails despite paying out for many to stay at home,we will have to change the laws to let migrant workers come and work,but many say the farm gangs have moved to other countrys to work after we stopped them coming.

Why haven't you mentioned this before?

Guest busdriver1
1 hour ago, Anna B said:

You are assuming that all those who have taken early retirement all have a works pension, which may well be true, in which case they probably don't want a job changing beds or working in a distribution centre for peanuts, especially doctors. These are cutthroat, highly pressured, exhausting jobs that nobody wants unless they are young, fit or desperate.

However the people that  are finally going to go  for such jobs  are the broke, early 'retirees' ie those that are elderly but trying to live on fresh air because they have no pension yet and can't get benefits because they have been made redundant towards the end of their working lives, and can't get another at a decent wage. Or actual OAPs trying to live on a below the poverty line state pension.

They may have a small amount of savings which they were saving for their 'proper' retirement, but are being eaten up because they can't claim unemployment benefits or anything else. They are going broke and face an old age in penury.

All the government wants is for somebody - anybody - to do these jobs, so they won't have to admit that foreign workers are the only ones in a position to do them and no longer want to come here. Those on Universal Credit have learned through bitter experience not to touch them as they make them even poorer and put them into debt, so the only ones left to target are OAP's who as yet don't know any better.

I am not assuming anything. 

It is you and fools who are doing that, you are assuming that the jobs they are being asked to do are menial whereas the government specifically mentioned skilled people who had taken early retirement returning to their professions. 

Nobody from the government has mentioned OAPs they are not included, they are not being asked

This is like a Norwegian blue .

as i said though further news will be said in the next  few weeks ,but whatever said we need workers of all ages and skills thats a fact,we cannot improve this country with loads of jobs and no workers,i would think they will have to also put in retraining for able bodied long term unemployed and also help those or encourage those working part time with incentives

4 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

It is you and fools who are doing that, you are assuming that the jobs they are being asked to do are menial whereas the government specifically mentioned skilled people who had taken early retirement returning to their professions. 

Nobody from the government has mentioned OAPs they are not included, they are not being asked

That's because most of the shortages are in the lowest paid areas (I refuse to call them 'menial' because their worth to the community and economy is far above their pay, as we found out during the pandemic.) The exceptions are doctors and nurses.

Certainly we are short of doctors, because in spite of knowing we had a shortage for more than 10 years, they have failed to train enough to fill the deficit and they can no longer steal trained doctors from abroad so retired doctors are the only option.

We are also short of nurses but nurses  are now striking because they consider the pay too low, so I doubt many nurses who are probably pretty exhausted will want to return.

What other well paid skilled workers have you heard we are short of?    

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
39 minutes ago, Anna B said:

That's because most of the shortages are in the lowest paid areas (I refuse to call them 'menial' because their worth to the community and economy is far above their pay, as we found out during the pandemic.) The exceptions are doctors and nurses.

Certainly we are short of doctors, because in spite of knowing we had a shortage for more than 10 years, they have failed to train enough to fill the deficit and they can no longer steal trained doctors from abroad so retired doctors are the only option.

We are also short of nurses but nurses  are now striking because they consider the pay too low, so I doubt many nurses who are probably pretty exhausted will want to return.

What other well paid skilled workers have you heard we are short of?    

Loads 

Guest busdriver1
8 hours ago, Anna B said:

Please give us a few examples of the sort of well paid jobs being offered to early retirees or OAPs 

You want to know, you do the search. I cant be bothered with your constant mithering. 

Try this link www.google.com.

21 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

again, we are NOT talking about the unemployed, it is people who have taken early retirement. 

Who says they are expected to do the lowest paid jobs? Many are doctors who he would like to see back doing medical work. Surely that would be a good thing?

If they have taken early retirement, it suggests they are not working hence unemployed, and not OAPs.

16 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Prefer the Belgian.

2 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

You want to know, you do the search. I cant be bothered with your constant mithering. 

Try this link www.google.com.

Bit rude. It was a simple enough question which I thought you would have no problem answering as you said there were 'loads.'

And I am not 'constantly mithering' as you put it, but trying to ascertain who is likely to want to fill these vacancies, what they are, and  why people would want to take them, especially OAPs. 

I maintain my stance that apart from retired doctors (and I'm not sure geriatric doctors are the answer to shortages.) there are not that many OAPs that would want to take the kind of hard graft/ low paid jobs available, unless they're desperate for the money - which sadly some of them are.

Edited by Anna B

Guest busdriver1
10 hours ago, Anna B said:

Bit rude. It was a simple enough question which I thought you would have no problem answering as you said there were 'loads.'

And I am not 'constantly mithering' as you put it, but trying to ascertain who is likely to want to fill these vacancies, what they are, and  why people would want to take them, especially OAPs. 

I maintain my stance that apart from retired doctors (and I'm not sure geriatric doctors are the answer to shortages.) there are not that many OAPs that would want to take the kind of hard graft/ low paid jobs available, unless they're desperate for the money - which sadly some of them are.

So yet again despite being corrected numerous times you still insist on mentioning oaps. 

You really don't get it do you. 

I am just trying to work out if it's intentional or another reason. 

I have my suspicions.