How Many Sheffielders Will Be Helping Mr Hunt?

On 28/01/2023 at 12:46, bassett one said:

mr hunt wants pensioners to go back to work as soon as possible,your country needs you ,disabled pensioners also wanted as the country has no workers,well i am not going back ,i say thats what job centres are for ,but how many in sheffield will be heeding his call?

Above is the original post by bassett one.

This is how the conversation started, and why I am referring to  pensioners.  

Edited by Anna B

I was redundant from a long term job at 50.  I found another one, on far lower pay, straight away, in a different type of organisation.  Within a couple of years  I moved on.  I took voluntary redundancy at 60, at that time I got a state pension, but nowhere near the basic because like many women of my generation I’d not got enough NI contributions.  

I had several jobs after 60 to supplement my income, I even worked part time for the civil service!  I think working, for those of us who are healthy, is normal.  I could have just signed on, and made no effort to find work, it didn’t occur to me.    My husband worked part time, minimum wage job,  until his late 60s, and would have carried on if the work hadn’t dried up.  I don’t understand the mindset that says 50 is old! 

Edited by Ms Macbeth

20 minutes ago, Ms Macbeth said:

I was redundant from a long term job at 50.  I found another one, on far lower pay, straight away, in a different type of organisation.  Within a couple of years  I moved on.  I took voluntary redundancy at 60, at that time I got a state pension, but nowhere near the basic because like many women of my generation I’d not got enough NI contributions.  

I had several jobs after 60 to supplement my income, I even worked part time for the civil service!  I think working, for those of us who are healthy, is normal.  I could have just signed on, and made no effort to find work, it didn’t occur to me.    My husband worked part time, minimum wage job,  until his late 60s, and would have carried on if the work hadn’t dried up.  I don’t understand the mindset that says 50 is old! 

That all depends on your health which gradually declines from 50 onwards, and the work you do.. At 50 I was fine, by 56 my health had deteriorated dramatically.

I know people at 80 in great health who could work. That doesn't mean all 80 year olds are capable.

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yes he is. It's also been reported as part of the solution in the mainstream news, and other media outlets.

No he isn't  - almost everything is based on what he has half-read in The S*n or the Sheffield Star or that Geoff from Lowedges Forum has posted

Very rarely any facts, evidence, data or links to back anything up

Starting a thread with 'I see that....' or 'I hear that...' doesn't turn what follows into fact

He voted for Brexit based on a slogan on the side of a bus.....

• Haha 1

i voted brexit for many reasons ,1 was to offer more job oppertunitys to our unemployed ,2,to save our country money,also freedom to buy from the best deals available accross the world,but the unemployed have not filled the jobs as the goverment said they would,money saved that disappeared. and those great deals where not there as our chance passed over many years on those and we have gone to the bottom of the pile to be offered deals as we havent been around for all those years and others are above us these days,so now we have no workers prepared to do the jobs,i hope the goverment offer good deals to those long term unemployed like they say they will at the next budget via keeping more universal cash . but its the goverment thats failed us ,i dont vote tory either.

41 minutes ago, bassett one said:

i voted brexit for many reasons ,1 was to offer more job oppertunitys to our unemployed ,2,to save our country money,also freedom to buy from the best deals available accross the world,but the unemployed have not filled the jobs as the goverment said they would,money saved that disappeared. and those great deals where not there as our chance passed over many years on those and we have gone to the bottom of the pile to be offered deals as we havent been around for all those years and others are above us these days,so now we have no workers prepared to do the jobs,i hope the goverment offer good deals to those long term unemployed like they say they will at the next budget via keeping more universal cash . but its the goverment thats failed us ,i dont vote tory either.

Hopefully that has shown the perfect illustration for you of how someone can say something but that doesn't mean it is a fact or real or 100% going to happen

The S*n & the Sheffield Star & Geoff from Lowedges Forum are just serving up soundbites for the gullible