Policemen Getting Arrogant.

What’s up with our policemen ?  Lots of them waiting to be questioned over rapes and assaults on women. I remember when we had policemen and women walking the streets on their beats. We trusted them and could ask them anything from the time of day to instructions on how to get to a certain place. Now a lot are arrogant and abusive. Bring back the old Coppers on The Beat !

4 minutes ago, pattricia said:

What’s up with our policemen ?  Lots of them waiting to be questioned over rapes and assaults on women.

A very small percentage surely?

Now there are only 600 or so MPs and a lot of them seem to misbehave.

The internet, a lot share stuff on whatsapp groups etc that could be construed as hateful, misognystic etc, obviously the more people are  shown certain things the more they can be influenced by them.

Theres always been the bad apple though

20 minutes ago, pattricia said:

What’s up with our policemen ?  Lots of them waiting to be questioned over rapes and assaults on women. I remember when we had policemen and women walking the streets on their beats. We trusted them and could ask them anything from the time of day to instructions on how to get to a certain place. Now a lot are arrogant and abusive. Bring back the old Coppers on The Beat !

My bold. 

Is this from recent personal experience because all SYP now wear body cams which should be turned on?

If not you can ask them to & why it's not anyway?  Of course you can always take their badge numbers if they refuse. 

As for the old coppers, I remember getting a leather glove across the face on one occasion for back-lipping. 

Hmmm?  Maybe I should be chasing Alan Billings up for my latent mental trauma which only could be sorted by some compo from SYP? 

Edited by Baron99

5 minutes ago, melthebell said:

The internet, a lot share stuff on whatsapp groups etc that could be construed as hateful, misognystic etc, obviously the more people are  shown certain things the more they can be influenced by them.

Theres always been the bad apple though

I agree with this.

I think having a much less deferential society and media means journalists are going to ask more probing questions, and more likely to probe and ask searching questions.

I think we all have a rosy tinted view of Dixon of Dock Green, but I think there were probably plenty of 'bad apples' in the old days.

I'm sure there were some good coppers, just like there are now....

I do think, in quite a few cases, there's something about the lines being blurred between police and criminals. As well as plain old carelessness, look at the grooming of children scandals uncovered in the last decade or so. Some police (and social workers) just did nothing, shrugged their shoulders and said it was 'a lifestyle choice'. There are exceptional police officers who went the extra mile like Maggie Oliver who blew the whistle about what happened in Rochdale over at GMP.

32 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I think there is more strutiny of the Police, including from the official bodies. There's more media coverage, rolling news programme have to have content to fill the time. There's always been bad apples, as the Police force ultimately reflects the wider society. 

1 minute ago, S35_2o21 said:

I think there is more strutiny of the Police, including from the official bodies. There's more media coverage, rolling news programme have to have content to fill the time. There's always been bad apples, as the Police force ultimately reflects the wider society. 

A good fair contribution. In 2023 someone arrested is less likely to get beaten up by the Police and forced to confess to something they have not do than if they had been arrested 50 years ago. 

The media prefer to report negative Police stories rather than positive Police stories.

Another serving officer accused of rape. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-64452841

I was listening to the radio a few days ago & a former serving Met officer now retired said that before he became a fully fledged PC, he, along with the other recruits, were required to have a lengthy chat with a Superintendent to sound them out & after such chat, they could be rejected.  

Then again, what they do as a serving PC is another matter. 

Edited by Baron99