Arundel Gate Northbound Getting A Bus Gate

7 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

If you cant read road signs and markings, you shouldnt be driving. Nothing horrible about it.

It would be handy if there were signs directing you to , say, the Novotel from the IRR.

4 hours ago, Longcol said:

It would be handy if there were signs directing you to , say, the Novotel from the IRR.

The bus gate operates after the Novotel. 

https://www.shefnews.co.uk/2023/03/23/sheffields-new-bus-gate-launched-in-bid-to-tackle-air-pollution-in-arundel-gate/

Drivers can still get to the Novotel, turn round there, head across the carriageway & back southbound without getting a penalty. 

Edited by Baron99

8 hours ago, Longcol said:

The signing would soon start to get cluttered if you had directions to every business that wanted it. Drivers appear to have enough difficulty observing the existing signing……..

If I recall correctly, if a business/venue qualifies for the brown “tourism” signs and is willing to pay for them being made and installed, the Council do try to accommodate them. It’s the cost that puts most off.

• Like 1

I do think that the bus gate scheme is a good idea. It will make it easier to cross the roads, bearing in mind private car drivers are more prone to things such as "forgetting" to indicate and adhering to the rules of pedestrian crossings. If the signage is clearly marked and drivers don't notice it, I would say they aren't driving with enough attention. The question is, what is the money from the fines going towards? A soiree for the councillors at the end of the month or improving things such as community centres, housing etc.

• Like 1

I do like the idea that elected officials in Sheffield (on less than 20 grand a year when I last looked if you don't have special responsibilities) are sat there having parties from money paid for by bus gate fines. 

I suspect its paying for other transport initiatives, lovey. 

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I do like the idea that elected officials in Sheffield (on less than 20 grand a year when I last looked if you don't have special responsibilities) are sat there having parties from money paid for by bus gate fines. 

I suspect its paying for other transport initiatives, lovey. 

Like the total failure which is laughingly called 'Sheffield Connect'??

3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Such as?

I found an answer for you. 

"The income from Penalty Charge Notices pays the cost of the enforcement. This includes the administration staff involved in collecting the fines, maintenance of signs and lines and other associated costs. Any surplus remaining after deduction of costs has to go towards measures to improve public transport or other highway associated improvements"

Same applies for every council. 

• Like 1