Arundel Gate Northbound Getting A Bus Gate

Guest busdriver1
12 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

the 'direct links' are a short walk away.

high flying executive trolley dollys cant walk

16 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

high flying executive trolley dollys cant walk

I seem to remember in the talk in the early days of when HS2 looked to becoming to Sheffield & the debates were where a new station should be sited.  There was an architect down in Kelham Island who wanted the station to be in the Wicker because it was too far for his clients to travel from Midland Station. 

Edited by Baron99

• 4 months later...
On 12/07/2023 at 17:17, hackey lad said:

Horrible little man .

I have to agree with you Hackney Lad. 

A confrontational individual with an abject lack of empathy. 

There a huge number of reasons why when the restrictions first came in, they were unnoticed, because a bus got in the way of what signage there was at the time, which obviously was not sufficient effective because so many people were caught out; foliage, concentrating on other traffic, pedestrians, the fact that it was a well used route and who'd have thought that they would do such a thing. Any reduction in pollution has just been transferred elsewhere, or apparently fewer ppl are coming to Sheffield city centre. 

BTW they have frequently changed the city centre and in the 30years that I have been here it remains a dump, not a tree in sight with ugly shop fronts, street furniture spuied all over the show.

If you don't live in a city, you've never heard of a Bus Gate, which in fact is only for buses, so it is a bus gate at all. 

4 hours ago, roffeyd007 said:

There a huge number of reasons why when the restrictions first came in, they were unnoticed, because a bus got in the way of what signage there was at the time, which obviously was not sufficient effective because so many people were caught out; foliage, concentrating on other traffic, pedestrians, the fact that it was a well used route and who'd have thought that they would do such a thing. Any reduction in pollution has just been transferred elsewhere, or apparently fewer ppl are coming to Sheffield city centre. 

BTW they have frequently changed the city centre and in the 30years that I have been here it remains a dump, not a tree in sight with ugly shop fronts, street furniture spuied all over the show.

If you don't live in a city, you've never heard of a Bus Gate, which in fact is only for buses, so it is a bus gate at all. 

I do agree. I'd rather motorists be concentrating on the road than reading scripture of the council's newest little schemes. The CAZ business has caused problems for city centres up and down the country. For example, I have just seen a picture of Birmingham city centre, desolate on the run up to Christmas, unheard of in years gone by. Sheffield is indeed a dump and the CAZ/bus gates will just suade more people to Meadowhall and Crystal Peaks. Atleast the security men are at Meadowhall to remove any beggars (which is why they know not to try it on there). A few old shipping containers won't solve the fundamental problems with Sheffield city centre.

5 hours ago, roffeyd007 said:

There is loads of signage and this was certainly the case when the morons on this forum got caught out (see the other thread on it). Go down and look.  Anyone who can't read road signs needs their license taken off them. No exceptions. 

Thank you for speaking so highly of me. Must say it's a massive badge of honour to have made you break a 4 year silence 😍😍

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

There is loads of signage and this was certainly the case when the morons on this forum got caught out (see the other thread on it). Go down and look.  Anyone who can't read road signs needs their license taken off them. No exceptions. 

Thank you for speaking so highly of me. Must say it's a massive badge of honour to have made you break a 4 year silence 😍😍

Since the initial moaning because people couldn't see big YELLOW signage telling you the bus gate was ahead & showing how to avoid it in both words and pictogram, SCC have TREBLED the amount of signage with the additional signage in RED. 

Yet still daily I see private cars going through. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

For example, I have just seen a picture of Birmingham city centre, desolate on the run up to Christmas, unheard of in years gone by.

Could you share this picture/post a link to the source or something? I have a sister who lives in Sutton Coldfield and I visit Birmingham city centre regularly. If I visit Birmingham city centre less than 4-5 times a year then it's unusual.

I've just looked it up and the Birmingham CAZ was introduced in June 2021. I've been on New Street and in the Bull Ring in the run-up to Christmas (not this year, but last year and a few years ago pre-covid), and desolate it was very much not.

I dare say the CAZ has had some impact on visitors to Birmingham - it includes the most polluting private cars, unlike the Sheffield scheme - but the high-quality retail offering in the city centre coupled with the extensive public transport on offer across the West Midlands means that the impact would have been minimal.

What day and time of day was the picture you saw? Which part of Birmingham, because - like most city centres - there are some old and failing retail areas which pale in comparison to the busier areas which have seen more recent investment. You have the Bull Ring and New Street/High Street which remain popular, but areas like The Square are on their last legs somewhat. But that's the nature of urban areas and declining physical retail, little to do with CAZs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrewC said:

Could you share this picture/post a link to the source or something? I have a sister who lives in Sutton Coldfield and I visit Birmingham city centre regularly. If I visit Birmingham city centre less than 4-5 times a year then it's unusual.

I've just looked it up and the Birmingham CAZ was introduced in June 2021. I've been on New Street and in the Bull Ring in the run-up to Christmas (not this year, but last year and a few years ago pre-covid), and desolate it was very much not.

I dare say the CAZ has had some impact on visitors to Birmingham - it includes the most polluting private cars, unlike the Sheffield scheme - but the high-quality retail offering in the city centre coupled with the extensive public transport on offer across the West Midlands means that the impact would have been minimal.

What day and time of day was the picture you saw? Which part of Birmingham, because - like most city centres - there are some old and failing retail areas which pale in comparison to the busier areas which have seen more recent investment. You have the Bull Ring and New Street/High Street which remain popular, but areas like The Square are on their last legs somewhat. But that's the nature of urban areas and declining physical retail, little to do with CAZs.

I believe the image the poster was referring to was part of a report into the lack of 'festive decor' in Birmingham centre