Save Our Streets

20 minutes ago, ads36 said:

for a start, it's likely that i'll be carrying holiday luggage.  for some reason, UK trains aren't set up to accept much luggage.

when train1 arrives at the station, will i have 43 seconds to find out which platform i need for train2? and then get there? 

or is train2 in 7 hours?

or (more likely) has it been cancelled?

I don't know about you, but if I'm doing a rail journey that involves a change, I note the transfer times/platforms indicated on the journey planner - for initial planning, I am aware there can be changes later, for a variety of reasons - and whilst on leg 1 of said journey, check the live times/platform detail for leg 2, and so on - no mad rushing about. Not rocket science.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ads36 said:

thanks - none of the websites i'm looking at show me the platform numbers...?

If the train from the airport terminates at Piccadilly, it goes to platforms 1-12. All through trains go to 13/14.

Conversely, of the 3 trains (ish) an hour that go to Sheffield from Piccadilly, only the one that arrives from Liverpool goes to 13/14.

So getting the one that goes to Blackpool, or somewhere further north, from the airport is the sensible approach. 

The one at 17 mins past is, at the moment, the ideal one as per my post a few mins back.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Network Rail - unless you are booking way in advance, when they occasionally don't.

In this case though its merely knowing the quirks of the station: 1-12 are terminators (and a few that turn around, but not many these days now the TPE train changed) and 13-14 are through trains.

Edited by HeHasRisen

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

In this case though its merely knowing the quirks of the station: 1-12 are terminators (and a few that turn around, but not many these days now the TPE train changed) and 13-14 are through trains.

True - I wasn't trying to imply otherwise. Similar situation at many other mainline stations.

As an elderly single traveller who finds walking difficult and stairs nigh on impossible especially with luggage I wouldn't be able to do it at all. 

I get an assisted flight at the airports which is usually very helpful, but I doubt anything like that is available at train stations so yes trying to travel with luggage makes a big difference.

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

As an elderly single traveller who finds walking difficult and stairs nigh on impossible especially with luggage I wouldn't be able to do it at all. 

I get an assisted flight at the airports which is usually very helpful, but I doubt anything like that is available at train stations so yes trying to travel with luggage makes a big difference.

It is.

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

2 seconds Google of the words "mobility assistance rail station" brings up the results of the network rail page which explains in the services offered, lists the various train companies own procedures for assisted travel and there is even a YouTube video about it.

It's all there and just takes a little bit of advanced planning.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

2 seconds Google of the words "mobility assistance rail station" brings up the results of the network rail page which explains in the services offered, lists the various train companies own procedures for assisted travel and there is even a YouTube video about it.

It's all there and just takes a little bit of advanced planning.

Yeah, maybe I should have made life easy for the poor lady, but she seems perfectly capable of searching for 'information' to back up some of her wild ideas.

• Haha 1