Save Our Streets

On 05/02/2023 at 12:25, Organgrinder said:

That doesn't mean that well designed systems wouldn't work.

It's common in this country to find that a good idea has been ruined by carelessness and lack of forethought.

If they want (when you say WANT, you really mean NEED) people out of their cars, there is no alternative to some kind of mass public transport system and,

no matter what the cost, it will have to be paid so, they need to stop pleading poverty, get planning and get it done quickly without cutting corners.

We don't need to be laughed at again as we were, as the only country with a new powerful aircraft carrier with no aircraft.

This once wonderful country is going to the dogs through lack of investment in basic infrastructure (unless you live in London of course.) 

I've just come through Manchester Airport and it's an inefficient slum that needs pulling down and rebuilding. I hate to think what visitors coming into the country must think. It's dirty, rundown and frankly dreadful. This is supposed to be the premier Northern International Airport.

And just getting there and back is a nightmare now the Sheffield - Manchester Airport trainline has been done away with. 

What with that, the closure of Doncaster/Sheffield airport, HS2 finishing somewhere round Birmingham,  no East - West crossrail train and rubbish road links, we in the North are really becoming like a  third world country... 

So much for the Tories' 'levelling up' schemes.

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I've just come through Manchester Airport and it's an inefficient slum that needs pulling down and rebuilding. I hate to think what visitors coming into the country must think. It's dirty, rundown and frankly dreadful. This is supposed to be the premier Northern International Airport.

And just getting there and back is a nightmare now the Sheffield - Manchester Airport trainline has been done away with. 

You came back through T1 or T3 then. As soon as the next extension to T2 is finished, which has just started, T1 is closing anyway and T2 will deal with 80 % of the flights, assume T3 will be a Ryanair and domestic terminal only.2

The new T2 is alright, the arrivals hall is absolutely huge and totally different from the ones in the other terminals.

As for the train station, most airports would kill for a train station with the number of trains it has. Trains cant go everywhere direct from it, that would be absurd.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

How is getting off one train, going to another platform and getting on another train “a nightmare”?

It’s not difficult at all. ( for most people) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

How is getting off one train, going to another platform and getting on another train “a nightmare”?

It’s not difficult at all. ( for most people) 

for a start, it's likely that i'll be carrying holiday luggage.  for some reason, UK trains aren't set up to accept much luggage.

when train1 arrives at the station, will i have 43 seconds to find out which platform i need for train2? and then get there? 

or is train2 in 7 hours?

or (more likely) has it been cancelled?

Edited by ads36

10 minutes ago, ads36 said:

for a start, it's likely that i'll be carrying holiday luggage.  for some reason, UK trains aren't set up to accept much luggage.

when train1 arrives at the station, will i have 43 seconds to find out which platform i need for train2? and then get there? 

or is train2 in 7 hours?

No, its a cross platform change (13 to 14, or vice versa, forget which) at Manchester Piccadilly to pick up the hourly Sheffield train that arrives from Liverpool, assuming you dont get a train from the airport that terminates at Piccadilly (because they would go into the main bit of the station on platforms 1-12.)

Easily sortable if you plan it, but people generally dont like to plan.

There are other trains which would involve walking to the main platforms, but as you can see its easily avoidable.

Edited by HeHasRisen

4 minutes ago, ads36 said:

or is train2 in 7 hours?

I did exactly that recently with very heavy luggage. Wasn’t a problem for me, might be for some( which I recognised in my initial response) 

The trains are pretty frequent throughout the day, so most times it won’t be that long to wait for another.

So do a bit of pre planning and don’t pick the train to get there if it doesn’t suit.

Pretty simple.

Just took a quick look for you @ads36.

At 4.17pm today, you get the train from the Airport that terminates at Blackpool North. You get off this train at Piccadilly at 4.31pm at platforms 13/14.

12 minutes later, on the same set of platforms, the 4.43pm to Norwich arrives (the train that goes to Sheffield). So thats a 12 minute wait on the same island platform, which isnt excessive.

The same journey can be done at 17 mins past the hour most hours by the looks.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1