Save Our Streets

7 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

2 seconds Google of the words "mobility assistance rail station" brings up the results of the network rail page which explains in the services offered, lists the various train companies own procedures for assisted travel and there is even a YouTube video about it.

It's all there and just takes a little bit of advanced planning.

Thankyou for that. I didn't know about it. Now I do.

Well those of you who live in Crookes, now have the 'Crookes Active Travel Scheme' to contend with?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/transport/sheffield-active-travel-anger-as-sheffield-council-brings-in-barriers-on-springvale-road-crookes-4019725

Appears that the locals weren't consulted on the new road layout diversion?

Edited by Baron99

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

Well those of you who live in Crookes, now have the 'Crookes Active Travel Scheme' to contend with?

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/transport/sheffield-active-travel-anger-as-sheffield-council-brings-in-barriers-on-springvale-road-crookes-4019725

No matter how much consultation is done on a scheme you will always get people who say their views have been “ignored” or there wasn’t  sufficient consultation.

I’ve experienced this even on schemes where extensive consultation was carried out. People often only start to pay attention when the restriction actually goes in and then say they knew nothing about it before then ( even when several letters and questionnaires have been put through their doors, there have been several public meetings and adverts in the media).

I’ve personally put letters in people’s letterboxes and then had them claim they haven’t received anything.

There very clearly has been consultation done, there’s info on the council website on the scheme and results of consultation here

People also forget that consultation is just that. It isn’t a ballot.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

No matter how much consultation is done on a scheme you will always get people who say their views have been “ignored” or there wasn’t  sufficient consultation.

I’ve experienced this even on schemes where extensive consultation was carried out. People often only start to pay attention when the restriction actually goes in and then say they knew nothing about it before then ( even when several letters and questionnaires have been put through their doors, there have been several public meetings and adverts in the media).

I’ve personally put letters in people’s letterboxes and then had them claim they haven’t received anything.

There very clearly has been consultation done, there’s info on the council website on the scheme and results of consultation here

People also forget that consultation is just that. It isn’t a ballot.

Come off it. How many people were consulted and approved the felling of perfectly healthy trees? 

We became an International laughing stock over that one. 

Consultations (if they actually happen) can be rigged to get the desired answers, and you know it. 

Just now, Anna B said:

Come off it. How many people were consulted and approved the felling of perfectly healthy trees? 

Consultations (if they actually happen) can be rigged to get the desired answers, and you know it. 

Be as sceptical as you like.

For the Crookes scheme there’s been online consultations which allow people to make their own comments about whatever location they like. There’s been at least one workshop session too.

As I’ve said no matter how much you do, some people will always find fault with it.

To meet legal requirements to introduce a traffic restriction, all they need to do is publish the traffic regulation order, which gives people an opportunity to object. It’s very clear they did a lot more than that and lots of folk had their say.

As I said plenty of times before, consultation is just that. It gives the decision makers a flavour of local opinion, they are not bound by it and it is not a ballot.

The restrictions on that scheme are being put in on an experimental basis to see how things work. They can be changed, removed or made permanent depending on how things pan out. People can tell the decision makers what they think.

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

No.

In any case, do you think a consultation and/or referendum is needed for every single decision a local authority makes? This is why we vote people in, to make decisions for us. If you dont like the decisions made, vote for someone else.

Edited by HeHasRisen

22 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

No.

In any case, do you think a consultation and/or referendum is needed for every single decision a local authority makes? This is why we vote people in, to make decisions for us. If you dont like the decisions made, vote for someone else.

You don't think featuring on the MSM news broadcasts, newspapers, and yes, my family in Australia had heard all about it too, makes us look ridiculous and a laughing stock, especially at a time when we are supposed to be caring about air quality and saving the planet? 

Candidates are selected by the party and expected to tow the party line. Anybody with new /different/radical ideas will not be selected, so the voters get more of the same. I know an ex councillor; she gave up because she was disgusted by the level corruption and incompetence she encountered in the system during her term in office. 

Voting for a different party doesn't work either as they all break their promises to 'put things right' etc. 

You only have to talk to people or look at the comments on this forum to see the level of dissatisfaction out there.

On 09/02/2023 at 06:00, Baron99 said:

1) they (we) absolutely were.

2) this is a trial, to see what the *real* effects/benefits are People are predicting total traffic chaos, and the collapse of society itself.

No-one can honestly claim that Springvale rd was working well; with full-to-capacity parking both sides and 2way traffic, making any kind of progress relied on a lot of stopping, and flashing each other through, and reversing, and waiting, etc. 

something has to be done:

a) parking restricted  to one-side only

b) make it 1way

c) filters (the current trial)

• Like 1