Save Our Streets

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

“Whacking” a rail station there isn’t an easy or cheap thing to do. Over in West Yorks they are putting one in at the White Rose business park. £27 million, and it’s been planned for years.

Adding additional stations on rail lines is difficult and even if it can be justified in Network Rail’s governance system, it would take a very long time to deliver. 

Light rail isn’t easy or cheap either but could deliver a higher frequency service.

Well yes, there have been a fair few new railway stations added in West Yorkshire in the last 30 years, in response to new developments.

Off the top of my head Glasshoughton, Low Moor, Kirkstall Forge and Apperley Bridge are all new in that timeframe. Three of those staions are on relatively high frequency rail lines.I cant think of a single new rail station in the last 30 years in South Yorkshire. I think Adwick in 1993 was the latest.  So if they can do it, pretty sure the metropolitan local authority next door can do it also.

• Like 1

Guest busdriver1
12 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Just seems a bit of a public transport desert that area, dont think its served by too many buses either the last time I looked.

Operators with PTE funding have tried and failed to run buses up there. The road layout is far from suitable for bus operation and the demand was extremely low as most households up there own multiple cars.

Just now, busdriver1 said:

Operators with PTE funding have tried and failed to run buses up there. The road layout is far from suitable for bus operation and the demand was extremely low as most households up there own multiple cars.

Yes its not an ideal location for road public transport. I suppose if people are moving out there buying a shiny new house they would know its a bit useless for public transport and have a car already.

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Well yes, there have been a fair few new railway stations added in West Yorkshire in the last 30 years, in response to new developments.

Off the top of my head Glasshoughton, Low Moor, Kirkstall Forge and Apperley Bridge are all new in that timeframe. Three of those staions are on relatively high frequency rail lines.I cant think of a single new rail station in the last 30 years in South Yorkshire. I think Adwick in 1993 was the latest.  So if they can do it, pretty sure the metropolitan local authority next door can do it also.

West Yorkshire do not have a strong hatred of heavy rail and are quite happy to work with it.

2 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

West Yorkshire do not have a strong hatred of heavy rail and are quite happy to work with it.

Since when have South Yorkshire had a “hatred” of heavy rail?

I never picked up on anything like that when I was working in this region.

The potential for new stations very much depends on the capacity of the line, the existing services using it and the number of potential customers. 

West Yorkshire is bigger, there are more potential customers. That’s a big factor.

10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes its not an ideal location for road public transport. I suppose if people are moving out there buying a shiny new house they would know its a bit useless for public transport and have a car already.

I’d think proximity to the motorway and major road network is a strong factor in many decisions to buy a new home down there.

7 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

South Yorkshire stations opened under SYPTE

Meadowhall 1990/91

Rotherham Central 1987

Swinton 1990

Dodworth 1989

Silkstone Common 1983

Goldthorpe 1988

Thurnscoe 1988

Adwick 1993 

Kirk Sandall 1991

Bentley 1992

50 tram stops

Many complete/partial rebuilds/new or more platforms/footbridges.

inc Chapletown(new) 1982, Hatfield and Stainforth, Thorne South

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

South Yorkshire stations opened under SYPTE

Meadowhall 1990/91

Rotherham Central 1987

Swinton 1990

Dodworth 1989

Silkstone Common 1983

Goldthorpe 1988

Thurnscoe 1988

Adwick 1993 

Kirk Sandall 1991

Bentley 1992

50 tram stops

Many complete/partial rebuilds/new or more platforms/footbridges.

inc Chapletown(new) 1982, Hatfield and Stainforth, Thorne South

Nothing in the last 30 years then?  Impressive.

Edited by Martin C

14 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

Any transport system will be busy in the rush hour, even the currently underused buses are busy in the rush hour. The REAL test is to view the loadings OUTSIDE the rush hour.

For a while pre- pandemic, I had the misfortune of working for a while in the city centre and I can assure you the tram system is VERL lightly used outside the rush hour. I would regularly see trams going up and down West Street with 2 or 3 passengers. A very inefficient use of capital, road space and general resources.

As for the government not funding extensions to it, you are acting surprised. Look at the waste of resources of the original, bad planning, dire implementation and financial mismanagement and its a miracle the government even read the application. (If they indeed did).

Well managed and implemented systems have had no problems getting funding. Sheffield got none. Work it out. 

Yes we know that *"consultants" were brought in to "plan" it for them but since none had any idea about the area, we got what we have. This system has to be the biggest missed opportunity in the country,  but of course it was those other folks to blame not the locals who hired them and followed what they came up with.

*( consultant - failed member of a planning team from elsewhere).

This guy? 

250px-Lyle.png

:hihi:

• Haha 1