Is Taiwan Teetering On The Edge Of War?

40 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

What's your opinion on it? 

Usually I'd go along with Waldo, business as usual but as geard points out "With America distracted by the war in Ukraine, now is the best time for China to strike."

Whether China takes advantage or not and by China I mean Xi Jinping is another matter. 

Hopefully everything will calm down and go back to 'normal' in the region. 

33 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I love Taiwan (we've been there twice on holiday) and partly for that reason I dislike Xi Jinping intensely. I don't trust him any more than Putin. The only hope is he isn't as stupid as Putin.

Not so keen on the shark fin soup thing though. Apparently quite popular in Taiwan?

44 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Usually I'd go along with Waldo, business as usual but as geard points out "With America distracted by the war in Ukraine, now is the best time for China to strike."

Whether China takes advantage or not and by China I mean Xi Jinping is another matter. 

Hopefully everything will calm down and go back to 'normal' in the region. 

Quite possibly as good a time as any if they’re going to do something; I still can’t see it though.

I imagine China will continue rattling their cage and use means other than direct military attack to try and destabilise Taiwan.

I could be wrong though.

Edited by Waldo

Taiwan wants to use the time to strengthen it's military and train it's troops.  Reach out to Nato member countries for joint exercises and training.

Has become clear that lack of well trained troops is a huge factor (big surprise there), but also going on large joint exercises with other countries also gives invaluable experience to leadership and support staff.  It's something that historically Russia and China never really bothered with, and it really shows.

Had Putin’s 3-day Ukrainian gambit paid off for Russia a year ago, then China might have made a move on Taiwan then.

But not now, particularly as China’s economy is vacillating more and more, and the country needs the West’s £,$,€ too much right now, as it contemplates US and EU greentech-related increasingly isolationist investment policies.

It looks more of the same sabre rattling for Xi’s domestic circle and audience.