Is Taiwan Teetering On The Edge Of War?

2 minutes ago, L00b said:

It looks more of the same sabre rattling for Xi’s domestic circle and audience.

I think the world would be happy with that right now.  Talk the talk, but leave it there.

We'll all agree to play along as normal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hauxwell said:

I would like to know how Taiwan would respond if China invades, will they put up a fight like Ukraine.  I don’t know much about the Taiwan army, or there military strength? Hopefully they have been preparing in case China launches an invasion.  

For such a tiny country it's large.  The budget is similar if not better than a NATO country.

GuA3Apx.jpg

The 2023 budget is close to $20bn, with further undeclared budgets for classified operations and special procurement policies.

11 minutes ago, geared said:

For such a tiny country it's large.  The budget is similar if not better than a NATO country.

GuA3Apx.jpg

The 2023 budget is close to $20bn, with further undeclared budgets for classified operations and special procurement policies.

Thanks for the information I didn’t expect Taiwan to be anywhere near the same as Chinas but they certainly have been spending on their armed forces in the last few years. As you said in an earlier post there’s still room for more training of troops.

52 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

Thanks for the information I didn’t expect Taiwan to be anywhere near the same as Chinas but they certainly have been spending on their armed forces in the last few years. As you said in an earlier post there’s still room for more training of troops.

China's military budget is over 10x higher than Taiwan, you'd expect China to win if it did come to it, but heavy losses on both sides is quite likely.

I expect they don't want to end up like Russia though, taking massive losses and with every military weakness exposed for the rest of the world to see.  If America did decide to join in, the last thing the Chinese want is a thorough kicking from them.

7 minutes ago, geared said:

China's military budget is over 10x higher than Taiwan, you'd expect China to win if it did come to it, but heavy losses on both sides is quite likely.

I expect they don't want to end up like Russia though, taking massive losses and with every military weakness exposed for the rest of the world to see.  If America did decide to join in, the last thing the Chinese want is a thorough kicking from them.

There's another angle, 70% of the world IC's are made there, on processes that would take decades to replicate elsewhere.

If they stop producing that would cripple the entire worlds economy for years, particularly China's.

I would expect significant blowback for China, if that happened.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Waldo said:

If China did successfully assimilate Taiwan, and take over the semiconductor industry...

Spyware with your chips, sir?

The US and the EU are investing massively in reshoring semiconductors. By the way 😉