'Online Misogyny' Set To Be Outlawed

21 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Never be put off posting what you want to post, if the subject's interesting or important to you.  Remember though that some folk are here just to troll, and others aren't open to hearing views other than their own, for reasons many and varied.  Others still are just deeply unpleasant and probably best ignored.

If you're interested in this subject, here's a useful book: Men Who Hate Women, by Laura Bates.  You can read some of the introductory chapter at that link. 

Thanks for that Hecate,  I must google her and shall find out more,  the book is interesting to me.

7 minutes ago, cressida said:

Thanks for that Hecate,  I must google her and shall find out more,  the book is interesting to me.

Here's a review..

Reviewed in the United Kingdom 🇬🇧 on 3 September 2021
This book is superbly researched and written with a very careful choice of words. I was personally convinced of the truth of most of Laura's arguments before reading the book, but the book has a major flaw in my opinion. Like many other books on social justice issues it assumes that the author's views are correct beyond dispute and that what is needed is more lecturing and legislating to force anyone who disagees to keep silent. Clearly they are not doing so at the moment, leading to many cases of words like 'shock' and 'extremism' used throughout the book - meaning 'someone who disagrees with me'. Laura is certainly correct that the political system in the UK has, indeed, been taken over by people who think like her - and more and more laws are passed all the time to try to prevent anyone of a different view from espousing their opinions under threats of 'hate crime', etc. - so her side seems to be winning on the surface. Her complaint is that her opponents are doing very well under cover of the Internet.

Nowhere do I find arguments to try to convince me of the correctness of her views - it is taken for granted that she is right - and therein lies the problem. Others do not agree...

One needs to make the case as to why racism, misogyny (and speciesism, in my view) are wrong, not just to shout it and threaten. What Laura describes as 'extremism' was the standard, majority view until a few decades ago and back then she would have been the extremist. In other words, 'extremism' means nothing except 'views held by a small minority'. In a democracy we need to argue our case not just legislate to try to silence our opponents - it doesn't work, and that is what her book is complaining about.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, cressida said:

Hi Al,  look around you on the forum,  why do so few women post on the general discussion section,  they are often swamped by males on here,  some egotistical,  although tbf there are the helpful ones to compensate,   I remember when on the previous forum,  there were lots of women posting,    e.g.  rubydazzler,  starsparkle,  plain talker.  and others like lizmobile and mojo - now it's mainly Anna,  Hecate and Annie,   all the women I've mentioned didn't regard men as having toxic masculinity,  they're only objective was to put their point of view without fear or favour.

I used to like EdnaKrabapp's posts.

3 hours ago, cressida said:

Hi Al,  look around you on the forum,  why do so few women post on the general discussion section,  they are often swamped by males on here,  some egotistical,  although tbf there are the helpful ones to compensate,   I remember when on the previous forum,  there were lots of women posting,    e.g.  rubydazzler,  starsparkle,  plain talker.  and others like lizmobile and mojo - now it's mainly Anna,  Hecate and Annie,   all the women I've mentioned didn't regard men as having toxic masculinity,  they're only objective was to put their point of view without fear or favour.

Hi Cressida.

I genuinely think that more men use forums but I am more than happy to be corrected.

I would absolutely welcome more women as to get both points of views.

Do you think that the aforementioned female posters were bullied off?

I've only been a member for a few months so I don't recognise the names.

Edited by Al Bundy

29 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

,Hi Cressida.

I genuinely think that more men use forums but I am more than happy to be corrected.

I would absolutely welcome more women as to get both points of views.

Do you think that the aforementioned female posters were bullied off?

I've only been a member for a few months so I don't recognise the names.

No,  they all  went on Facebook,  you could be correct about more men using forums though,  and I think they may have more to say - in front of women - than if they were in a pub.  

9 minutes ago, cressida said:

No,  they all  went on Facebook,  you could be correct about more men using forums though,  and I think they may have more to say - in front of women - than if they were in a pub.  

I think that's because face to face, men are much more polite.

29 minutes ago, cressida said:

I remember now that a Facebook group started and changed SF.

I went to a couple of meets at The Harlequin and found everyone very friendly.

Edited by harvey19

3 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Yeah I attended a few in there, seeing as I refuse on principle to pay more than 3 and half quid a pint in ANY pub, even at Town prices, it's one of the few City Centre pubs I'll give patron to.

I also once did the quiz in there all on my own and managed to get in double figures out of 20, I was quite pleased with that :D 

7 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

You've affirmed what Al said - probably helps that no-one's a stranger.

4 minutes ago, XPertByExperien said:

Yeah I attended a few in there, seeing as I refuse on principle to pay more than 3 and half quid a pint in ANY pub, even at Town prices, it's one of the few City Centre pubs I'll give patron to.

I also once did the quiz in there all on my own and managed to get in double figures out of 20, I was quite pleased with that :D 

So you should be👍