'Online Misogyny' Set To Be Outlawed

Just now, Mister M said:

To find out what's going on, sometimes it's good to look behind the headlines.

Yes there will be outrage when a Prime Minister might say "calm down dear" to a female politician, however that's only patronising put down under which there are some really horrible things happening to girls both online and in the real world.

I highlighted young people because for many of them, their life is online.

I'm so glad I'm not a young person growing up now.

Aye, can't argue about any of that.

Imagine being young now.... Like you say, their life is online.

Says us two pair of old fossils who spend most evenings doing the same!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/02/2023 at 19:50, Mister M said:

I think it's easy for people in my age bracket to be blase about misogyny, but for young people it is a serious and pervasive issue:

School rape culture: ‘Her death could have been prevented’ - BBC Three

Sexual abuse rife in UK's state and private schools, say police | Rape and sexual assault | The Guardian

For many people, esp younger people, everything is "a serious matter".

I say man up, get some backbone.

Much of what I dislike about modern life is down to this pathetic attitude : "it's the ultimate sin for anyone to get upset"

They want to lighten up and atop trying to tell everyone else how to behave, and even how to think.

On 09/02/2023 at 20:00, Al Bundy said:

The problem now is that misogyny has become the new " racist".  It's now becoming misogynistic to criticize anything a woman does or say, it's being overused by the permanently outraged and just like the word racist, will become watered down and meaningless thanks to the folk who are absolutely desperate to argue about anything and everything.

Whoppers

Ther are so many minorities getting special treatment these days that its who is left that is discriminated against, i.e. white straight men.

On 09/02/2023 at 20:06, Mister M said:

Yes there will be outrage when a Prime Minister might say "calm down dear" to a female politician, however that's only patronising put down under which there are some really horrible things happening to girls both online and in the real world.

Anyone who thinks that (admittedly) patronising put down will lead, even marginally, to "really horrible things happening to girls", wants to get out more.

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

For many people, esp younger people, everything is "a serious matter".

I say man up, get some backbone.

And the girls who are subject to the pervasive culture of bullying and abuse, should "man up, get some backbone"?

I just can't help but think that's not the right response.

I think the phrase "man up and get some backbone" is more of an appropriate response to someone who, during a contagious pandemic whinged about having to wear a face mask.

Much of what I dislike about modern life is down to this pathetic attitude : "it's the ultimate sin for anyone to get upset"

They want to lighten up and atop trying to tell everyone else how to behave, and even how to think.

And that's the problem.

Many young people are in horrible situations, not of their making, and you're saying the main problem is "this pathetic attitude : it's the ultimate sin for anyone to get upset".

At some point in their lives, all young people need boundaries and guidance. And if many boys think it's okay to inflict themselves on girls, and that's normal behaviour, then yes they do need telling how to behave and how to think.

Maybe we're debating two different things. 

Ther are so many minorities getting special treatment these days that its who is left that is discriminated against, i.e. white straight men.

Anyone who thinks that (admittedly) patronising put down will lead, even marginally, to "really horrible things happening to girls", wants to get out more.

I didn't say that the patronising put down will lead to "really horrible things happening to girls".

I think what I was (clumsily) trying to say is that it is emblematic of what little regard we have for young people, particularly females in the middle of all these culture wars, a ****ty society, and an even ****tier online world.

With regards to minorities getting special treatment that just seems like so much nonsense in comparison to what young people say they are experiencing. I can see it winds you up, but this conversation isn't about you.

Edited by Mister M

On 11/02/2023 at 16:40, Mister M said:

>>Chekhov said : For many people, esp younger people, everything is "a serious matter".

I say man up, get some backbone.<<

I think the phrase "man up and get some backbone" is more of an appropriate response to someone who, during a contagious pandemic whinged about having to wear a face mask.

Quite the opposite, the people who should have got a backbone was all those sheep doing exactly what the government was ordering them to do, despite the fact it was unprecedented, draconian, and, provably ineffective.

It is thanks to those pathetic specimens that the government now know they can get the population to do pretty much anything.

I am ashamed of society as it is now.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

Quite the opposite, the people who should have got a backbone was all those sheep doing exactly what the government was ordering them to do, despite the fact it was unprecedented, draconian, and, provably ineffective.

It is thanks to those pathetic specimens that the government now know they can get the population to do pretty much anything.

I am ashamed of society as it is now.

👏👏👏

On 11/02/2023 at 16:40, Mister M said:

And the girls who are subject to the pervasive culture of bullying and abuse, should "man up, get some backbone"?

I just can't help but think that's not the right response.

Many young people are in horrible situations, not of their making, and you're saying the main problem is "this pathetic attitude : it's the ultimate sin for anyone to get upset".

At some point in their lives, all young people need boundaries and guidance. And if many boys think it's okay to inflict themselves on girls, and that's normal behaviour, then yes they do need telling how to behave and how to think.

Maybe we're debating two different things. 

I didn't say that the patronising put down will lead to "really horrible things happening to girls".

I think what I was (clumsily) trying to say is that it is emblematic of what little regard we have for young people, particularly females in the middle of all these culture wars, a ****ty society, and an even ****tier online world.

With regards to minorities getting special treatment that just seems like so much nonsense in comparison to what young people say they are experiencing. I can see it winds you up, but this conversation isn't about you.

We are at completely the opposite end of the spectrum.

You, and many others like you, think people should be protected from everything, regardless of the cost, from Covid to the possibility they might get upset about anything.

I do not think that.

I think people should expect to get upset in their lives and ultimately kick the bucket. We should not all be going round on effin' tiptoes worried in case we say anything that might upset anyone (or spread any germs that might make anyone ill).

If people really are that wimpy they should stay at home behind their sofas, though, ironically, that will just make them even more sensitive (and their immune systems even less effective).

Guest makapaka
13 hours ago, Chekhov said:

You, and many others like you, think people should be protected from everything, regardless of the cost, from Covid to the possibility they might get upset about anything.

I do not think that.

I think people should expect to get upset in their lives and ultimately kick the bucket. We should not all be going round on effin' tiptoes worried in case we say anything that might upset anyone (or spread any germs that might make anyone ill).

If people really are that wimpy they should stay at home behind their sofas, though, ironically, that will just make them even more sensitive (and their immune systems even less effective).

You have an amazing ability to turn every thread back into a discussion about covid.

can guarantee whatever the thread topic if I see your avatar on a response it will be about covid. 

16 hours ago, Chekhov said:

I do not think that.

And that applies to children?

And I don't, as you characterise me, "think people should be protected from everything, regardless of the cost, from Covid to the possibility they might get upset about anything." Complete misrepresentation.

Edited by Mister M