B & Q Closing 8 Mini Stores

13 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Unusually high - compared to where?

As has been said elsewhere, many towns/cities are discouraging  traffic from their centres.

Please tell me which all these department stores 'we had' were?

So you don't know others have any of this dwindling concept?

I happen to know that senior management at Debenhams discussed the possibility of leaving Sheffield in the early 70's because of Sheffield's high rates.

Other towns and cities are now discouraging  town centre traffic but Sheffield was doing it years before anyone else.

I have already  told you which stores.

You tell me one of the top 6 largest cities with ONLY ONE department store, and only a 2 storey one at that..

Other than that, I don't need to know, as I live HERE.

DOES IT TAKE 2 OF YOU TO MAKE THE ARGUMENT NOW?

Edited by Organgrinder

Oh, he has acknowledged me. Progress, I suppose.

And shouting.

Why are department stores suddently seen as the benchmark for a city? Is it the 1950s again? First floor perfumery, homeware and leisure goods, going up!

Edited by HeHasRisen

11 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I happen to know that senior management at Debenhams discussed the possibility of leaving Sheffield in the early 70's because of Sheffield's high rates. (1)

Other towns and cities are now discouraging  town centre traffic but Sheffield was doing it years before anyone else. (2)

I have already  told you which stores. (3)

You tell me one of the top 6 largest cities with ONLY ONE department store, and only a 2 storey one at that..(4)

Other than that, I don't need to know, as I live HERE. (5)

DOES IT TAKE 2 OF YOU TO MAKE THE ARGUMENT NOW? (6)

(1) And other towns/cities - possibly - but they didn't leave, did they?

(2) you have conclusive proof of that?

(3) Post number?

(4) You tell me of one with more

(5) So do I.

(6) It's a free country.

I suggest you invest in a couple of quick courses (1) Economics (2) Business Planning.

Edited by RollingJ

2 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Hmmm you must have a good mole to be disclosing highly confidential commercial discussions which you just happened to remember 50 years on.  

So around the same early 70s time that their nearest rivals Cole Brothers were booming so much they expanded their store into extra space in a separate building and Atkinsons were booming so much they also expanded their store space to incorporate Sainsbury's and increase their customer footfall by an estimated 2 million a year....  Debenhams on the other hand, were apparently disgusted so much about SCCs extortionate council rates they were thinking of closing their store altogether.

Quite amazing they survived as long as they did.

It's surprising how many people are amazed when they realise they didn't know as much as they thought they did.

10 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

OOh, it is nice to have somebody on your side, isn't it.  Thanks ECOnoob for helping  tRollingJ out.

ECOnoob's another Sheffield council defender.  Don't know why but it shows the mindset.

And when will some people realise that not everyone shares their sentiments and never will.

Especially those who have seen SCC waste millions of pounds, ruin a city, and later undo everything they have done.

There's no accounting for some people's weird taste in councils.

I am not.  I'm just stating obvious facts. Something you can't seem to comprehend.

I don't believe for one second that you are so dense you cannot see what is happening across the globe in retail.  40 years ago, every city, every tin pot market town had a selection of department stores all the hub of activity for their respective locations.  They had a continual footfall and loyal following because consumers had no where else to go that offered such choice and variety.

Then came along the self-service supermarkets which expanded into giant hypermarkets selling everything from a pint of milk to a television all in one place with massive convenient parking. That coincided with the development of out of town shopping malls with similar advantages and by the 1990s when online shopping first hit the scene, the slow lingering death of many of those very expensive, empty, decreasing customers, prime lumps of real estate in the middle of our town centres was well and truly underway.

How is this so hard to comprehend.

Cities or no longer judged by stores they have.  With exception of a small handful of one offs, the vast majority of high streets whether they are in Toronto, Truro or Tokyo are dominated by identical brands and mass conglomerates. People's interests have moved away from just shopping which is now far often about convenience unless, as I've pointed out on several occasions, a particular store is something special, exclusive, or unique 

The world has moved on from the 70s. About time you drag yourself into modern society.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I'm still waiting for you to use yours - but don't take the next 50 years.

You started 'throwing insults' when you called me troll, which would have got you banned from a number of forums I have been on in the past. However, I love it when people do that  - usually happens when people start losing the argument.

Not at all.  I remember you turning up here and your posts made it obvious that you  were here simply to wind people up.

In my book, people who are here as wind up merchants are trolls, especially when they take the pee out of certain other posters.

I didn't call you a troll to insult you but just to state that I consider you to be one and, I'm not the first. 

7 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I am not.  I'm just stating obvious facts. Something you can't seem to comprehend.

I don't believe for one second that you are so dense you cannot see what is happening across the globe in retail.  40 years ago, every city, every tin pot market town had a selection of department stores all the hub of activity for their respective locations.  They had a continual footfall and loyal following because consumers had no where else to go that offered such choice and variety.

Then came along the self-service supermarkets which expanded into giant hypermarkets selling everything from a pint of milk to a television all in one place with massive convenient parking. That coincided with the development of out of town shopping malls with similar advantages and by the 1990s when online shopping first hit the scene, the slow lingering death of many of those very expensive, empty, decreasing customers, prime lumps of real estate in the middle of our town centres was well and truly underway.

How is this so hard to comprehend.

Cities or no longer judged by stores they have.  With exception of a small handful of one offs, the vast majority of high streets whether they are in Toronto, Truro or Tokyo are dominated by identical brands and mass conglomerates. People's interests have moved away from just shopping which is now far often about convenience unless, as I've pointed out on several occasions, a particular store is something special, exclusive, or unique 

The world has moved on from the 70s. About time you drag yourself into modern society.

All you are stating is that you love the world, the way it is going - well, that's up to you.

I believe that a lot of people are making a lot of big mistakes and will come to realise that when that little bit of plastic doesn't work anymore and someone with Windows 22 will clean you out.

You believe what you like but be sure of one thing WHEN THE POWER GOES OFF, EVERYTHING STOPS, including your lovely modern age shopping.

You can leave out the education because I know who I believe to be dense.