B & Q Closing 8 Mini Stores

7 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I suppose that what with the closure of John Lewis, Rackhams, Schofields, Debenhams and most of the clothing and footwear multiple stores we shouldn’t be surprised at anything.

The eight closure are all small B&Q branches contained in ASDA branches. Clearly the experiment didnt work, nothing at all to do with "Sheffield being cursed".

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The eight closure are all small B&Q branches contained in ASDA branches. Clearly the experiment didnt work, nothing at all to do with "Sheffield being cursed".

Who said anything about ‘Sheffield being cursed’ ? The stores that I mentioned weren’t exclusive to Sheffield. :huh:

5 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Three of the four you quote are due to the firms becoming insolvent, the other because the SHEFFIELD store was losing money hand over fist.

What's that got to do with it?

He only said that they had closed.

I would say that means that shops don't do very well in Sheffield.

Is that a better way round for you.

Just now, Organgrinder said:

What's that got to do with it?

He only said that they had closed.

I would say that means that shops don't do very well in Sheffield.

Is that a better way round for you.

Yes, he did - but 3 out of those 4 closed everywhere they existed. So those three weren't doing very well anywhere else either.

Don't quite know where you got the idea that it means shops don't do very well in Sheffield.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Yes, he did - but 3 out of those 4 closed everywhere they existed. So those three weren't doing very well anywhere else either.

Don't quite know where you got the idea that it means shops don't do very well in Sheffield.

We have had this debate before.

Most of them were department stores and , out of the shops we have left, only one is.

I department store in the city centre of one of the largest cities in the country is a pretty poor showing.

10 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

We have had this debate before.

Most of them were department stores and , out of the shops we have left, only one is.

I department store in the city centre of one of the largest cities in the country is a pretty poor showing.

Have we?

obviously, that means , for some reason, Sheffield's shoppers don't like department stores, if they don't visit them - and department store groups will be aware of this, which is why  they don't open them. You think successful company's just open massive a store and hope people will come? They don't, they do a lot of research before they make massive investments in property/staff &c.

Edited by RollingJ

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Have we?

obviously, that means , for some reason, Sheffield's shoppers don't like department stores, if they don't visit them - and department store groups will be aware of this, which is why  they don't open them. You think successful company's just open massive a store and hope people will come? They don't, they do a lot of research before they make massive investments in property/staff &c.

You talk  rubbish.

We had a city full and everyone knows that SCC ruined them  - first with high rates and secondly, SCC decided to make cars unwelcome.

Lots less customers = lots less shops.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

You talk  rubbish.

We had a city full and everyone knows that SCC ruined them  - first with high rates and secondly, SCC decided to make cars unwelcome.

Lots less customers = lots less shops.

Thanks for telling me I talk rubbish, but you are clearly opening your mouth without thinking.

Hate to say this, but businesses exist to make profit,  and if they see the demographics of a location are not going to make one, they do not locate there.

In any case, which other cities have 'lots of DEPARTMENT stores' - the concept of such stores is disappearing everywhere due to changing shopping habits.

10 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Thanks for telling me I talk rubbish, but you are clearly opening your mouth without thinking.

Hate to say this, but businesses exist to make profit,  and if they see the demographics of a location are not going to make one, they do not locate there.

In any case, which other cities have 'lots of DEPARTMENT stores' - the concept of such stores is disappearing everywhere due to changing shopping habits.

You're welcome.

Businesses cannot make much profit with a council where rates are unusually high, and  where  the council, at the same time  discourages cars from city centre.

I never said that other cities had LOTS of department stores.  I said that we did.

Other cities may have lots for all I know but I  would be surprised if any in the top 6 have ONLY ONE. 

Edited by Organgrinder

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

You're welcome.

Businesses cannot make much profit with a council where rates are unusually high, and  where  the council, at the same time  discourages cars from city centre.

I never said that other cities had LOTS of department stores.  I said that we did.

Other cities may have lots for all I know but I  would be surprised if any in the top 6 have ONLY ONE. 

Unusually high - compared to where?

As has been said elsewhere, many towns/cities are discouraging  traffic from their centres.

Please tell me which all these department stores 'we had' were?

So you don't know others have any of this dwindling concept?