Sam Smith

6 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Why?

Is he not successful enough, why the need for more attention, are you suggesting he is just an narcissistic attention seeker?

He's a wannabe pop star!

Of course he wants more attention. It's not just specific to him; they all want more attention.

Don't worry, he'll grow out of it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

It's not, it's really not. Elvis at least had his head screwed on and wasn't a warped freak.

He was to those thick rimmed, jam jar bespectacled, comb over sporting old fella's who were telling everyone it was scandalous and immoral at the time...

...you know, the ones you're doing a sterling impression of right now! :thumbsup:

Can only imagine what you would have thought about punk! :hihi:

12 minutes ago, Magilla said:

He was to those thick rimmed, jam jar bespectacled, comb over sporting old fella's who were telling everyone it was scandalous and immoral at the time...

...you know, the ones you're doing a sterling impression of right now! :thumbsup:

Can only imagine what you would have thought about punk! :hihi:

You see, this is where your argument falls down.

I don't know anyone ( in real life, not online )  regardless of their gender, profession or otherwise that don't think Sam Smith is obviously quite mentally unstable.

It's a broad church, not just old fellas with comb overs.

31 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I don't know anyone ( in real life, not online )  regardless of their gender, profession or otherwise that don't think Sam Smith is obviously quite mentally unstable.

Oh well, if everyone you know says it, it must be true! :hihi:

It's a broad church, not just old fellas with comb overs.

Were they right?

I guess they'd have to have been... right? ;)

Edited by Magilla

On 11/02/2023 at 12:19, ECCOnoob said:

Have we really got so prissy these days.  Yes, the image is not for me, but I've certainly seen a lot worse magazine shots.  

Honestly, it's as if the rock and roll revolution and outrageous behaviour never happened.  Music stars have always been using controversial gimmicks and deliberately provocative imaging.

In the 1950s, Elvis thrusting his pelvis caused shrieks amongst the crowd and a media frenzy

In the 60s and 70s, at the height of it all, we had rock stars frequently getting naked on stage, doing the helicopter, throwing themselves into the crowd to be fondled by the masses, performing rude and crude acts as part of their performance.  We had them smashing up hotel rooms, riding motorbikes through corridors, taking part in drug fuelled orgies with queues of teenage girls just waiting to get into their trailers and hotel rooms.

Even later on, Queen performed videos in fishnets and fake boobs and mini skirts, Ozzy bit the head off a bat, George Michael did an entire scene emulating cottaging, Madonna has spent decades wearing wholly inappropriate outfits and getting her bits out every 5 seconds. 

Even the sweeter, more innocent world of manufactured pop music has gone down the same path sometimes.  The spice girls were not ashamed to be doing poses all over the lads mags, the boy bands would default to their cheeky shirtless swimming pool photo shoots or nearly nude poses smothered in baby oil, Little Miss Disney, Miley Cyrus did her whole wrecking ball thing, Britney Spears for god sake dressed up as a school child while singing about being hit one more time...

Sam Smith knows exactly what they are doing. There's a track to sell and what better way to get people talking and get massive publicity with minimal effort. 

I seem to remember The Stranglers being banned entirely from France at one stage in their career for inciting a riot.  I'm sure they were also banned from another country when one of them decided mid concert to p*** on the country's flag. 

Now that's rock n roll.