Carrots How Can I Guarantee To Grow Them

17 hours ago, bassett one said:

hi i am succesfull with most veg,but the one that haunts me is carrots,any ideas? i will use any compost you advise? i can grow in tubs,its i try every year and fail,anyone got a idiots guide to guarantee success please

asda sweet and crunchy -- 50p for kilo!!

21 hours ago, Palomar said:

Mix compost or riddled soil with 50% sand. Sow plenty of seeds and thin them later. Try doing it in an old bath up on bricks, carrot flies fly low and won't reach up to it, or put some fleece over it on hoops to give the carrot tops space.

Good advice, I’d also start by growing short-rooted varieties like chantenay. I grow my carrots in raised beds or containers to avoid carrot fly as well.

9 minutes ago, bassett one said:

will try them in buckets /tubs 50/50 compost/sand and shot varieties ,will try that,start them in greenhouse would that help?

I sow mine directly in April, get yourself to Wilko for these.

https://www.wilko.com/wilko-carrot-royal-chantenay-3-seeds/p/0447759?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_pmGtbqQ_QIVmsvtCh2PkwBwEAQYAiABEgJ73_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• 4 weeks later...

I think the biggest problem with carrots is slugs , if I can get them past the tiny stage without being eaten then I just make sure they are netted to keep away carrot fly.

I tend to put down pieces of wood and turn them every time I am on the allotment and dispose of any slugs that I find.

I also use beer traps . Slug pellets in my opinion do more harm in the long term by poisoning slug predators worms, beetles ,frogs

birds and hedgehogs etc

Interestingly I  am no dig on heavy clay soil and carrots do well once growing.

I think that digging aerates the soil and when the carrot hits an air pocket it tends to fork around it ( I have no scientific evidence for this )