John Cleese To Create Fawlty Towers Reboot With Real Life Daughter

XPertByExperien

33 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

They tried it with open all hours. It didn't work. 

To be fair, Ronnie Barker's been dead at least 10 years, the other one died a few years back as well.

Like I said in the OP though, 70s comedies shouldn't be rebooted, even the classic that was Fawlty Towers, and given that ALL the original cast of On the Buses are dead (Anna Karen died last year) a reboot of that wouldn't work either.

8 minutes ago, slh73 said:

The BBC didn't ban anything, they just edited out the racist language 

Actually, they did ban the WHOLE episode at one point, it was only when John Cleese himself blasted them for it being "PC gone mad" that they simply edited out the N word, which they should've done in the first place.

It goes without saying political correctness is an issue in bringing back old comedy programs.  However, I believe the success of every sitcom is a result of the actor who played the role of the main character.  A new series of Only Fools and Horses would only be successful if David Jason played the role of Delboy.

2 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I just can't see it being as good as the original.

That is because you have no vision and do not appreciate the success of the original series was due to John Cleese playing the role of the main character 

2 hours ago, Axe said:

There were only ever 12 episodes of the original series made. Given the age of Prunella Scales it makes sense to have a younger actress playing the daughter for the new series.  I will watch the new series and hope it is half as funny as the original series.

Apparently Prunellla Scales is suffering from Dementia so she wouldn't have been able to be in it.

3 hours ago, XPertByExperien said:

Actually, they did ban the WHOLE episode at one point, it was only when John Cleese himself blasted them for it being "PC gone mad" that they simply edited out the N word, which they should've done in the first place.

No, they didn't. They temporarily removed it from the Iplayer and other streaming services while they edited it to remove the language. John Cleese believed the sensationalist crap that was printed in the papers, and went off on a rant about somethimg that never actually happened

Apparently it's more a sequel than a reboot 

In a GB News interview, John Cleese has revealed that his new Fawlty Towers sequel will be "very, very different" from the original; set in a bijou Caribbean hotel with a mix of nationalities; and won't be made for the BBC. https://bit.ly/3DOkupl

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/7185/fawlty-towers-sequel/

12 hours ago, XPertByExperien said:

Apparently Prunellla Scales is suffering from Dementia so she wouldn't have been able to be in it.

I assumed it was a health issue or her age why she is not involved.  Bringing in a daughter character as a replacement is the obvious thing to do.

21 hours ago, XPertByExperien said:

Topic

Personally, as much as I loved the original 70s series, 70s comedies in general are best left in the past IMO, for one thing, most of the "Woke" Guardian reading lefties who are perpetually offended on behalf of people they think should be offended by everything weren't born yet in those days.

Remember the stink created by the left about THAT episode just over 2 years ago purely because of the N word? Even John Cleese himself said the BBC's banning of the whole episode was "PC gone mad" and I agree.

Thoughts?

About 6 months ago John Cleese asked "why the BBC hasn't shown Monty Python's Flying Circus for a couple of decades, hoping to jump on the 'let's bash the PC gawn mad BBC' bandwagon.

Hilariously, it was pointed out that the BBC sold the licensing rights to Netflix.

Better luck next time John 

Edited by Mister M
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, XPertByExperien said:

To be fair, Ronnie Barker's been dead at least 10 years, the other one died a few years back as well.

'The other one' was David Jason, who's still very much alive and kicking. 

• Like 1