Will Sheffield Get This Deep Snow?

Guest makapaka
1 minute ago, Chekhov said:

can remember seeing busses back in the 70s sliding all over the road

Aah the good old days of buses sliding all over the road. Brings a tear to my eye.

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I cannot get my car out so was going to walk down

Have you ever thought maybe the driver of the 57 bus couldn’t get his car out this morning either?

6 minutes ago, makapaka said:

Aah the good old days of buses sliding all over the road. Brings a tear to my eye.

Have you ever thought maybe the driver of the 57 bus couldn’t get his car out this morning either?

This.

Does he think all bus drivers live within walking distance of the depot?

• Like 1

Guest makapaka
8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

This.

Does he think all bus drivers live within walking distance of the depot?

I’m the good old days the drivers would have worked through the night clearing the route alone with a shovel - with the cats - and that.

30 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

OK, today is pretty bad snow wise, and they might have been right to shut Oughtibridge school, but I think that stuff gets cancelled more easily these days than say back in the 70s or 80s. I cannot get my car out so was going to walk down and catch the 57 bus but it isn't running...... They haven't just changed the route by sticking to the main road at the bottom of the valley (which is OK as cars are going along it), it's completely cancelled. I can remember seeing busses back in the 70s sliding all over the road but still going, now they just take them off, or not put them on in the first place. But it's typical of the modern disease, safety above all else, regardless of the cost or inconvenience.

What’s wrong with walking?

I remember in the 1930s, people walked from Jarrow to London to try to get work.

Nowadays, it seems like a gentle stroll from Oughtibridge to Hillsborough is too much..

What a bunch of snowflakes we’ve become.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I remember in the 1930s, people walked from Jarrow to London to try to get work.

Nowadays, it seems like a gentle stroll from Oughtibridge to Hillsborough is too much..

My grandad used to work down the mines 25 hours a day, go home, die, wake up and then do the same shift the day after, all without a meal as they couldnt afford it. Eeeeee by gum!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

... I can remember seeing busses back in the 70s sliding all over the road but still going, now they just take them off, or not put them on in the first place. But it's typical of the modern disease, safety above all else, regardless of the cost or inconvenience.

Rubbish.  I walked to school in the 80s a fair few times in the snow because the 95 couldn't make it up City Road and was called off.  Same for the Little Nipper 10/11 that used to do Pond Street to Sky Edge via twisty turny steep bits. 

5 minutes ago, Hecate said:

Rubbish.  I walked to school in the 80s a fair few times in the snow because the 95 couldn't make it up City Road and was called off.  Same for the Little Nipper 10/11 that used to do Pond Street to Sky Edge via twisty turny steep bits. 

The buses out to Dinnington used to terminate at Fence Hill as soon as a couple of snowflakes fell from the sky. 

If they got past there, The Baulk at North Anston sorted them out.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, makapaka said:

What none of them ?

If they only ran at the bottom of the valley the route would only take half the time and therefore only need half the number of drivers.

>>Aah the good old days of buses sliding all over the road. Brings a tear to my eye.<<

In a deeper sense it really does : that modern society is so pathetic, it's getting worse all the time and it will continue to do so.

Sometimes I think a nice silk lined wooden box, not having to put up with any more of this BS, might be quite inviting. 

20 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I considered it, and have walked to Hillsborough from Oughtibridge more than once.

The problem today is that although the road is passable (cars are going past) the pavement is covered in about 5 inches of snow. Walking 3 miles through that is something else altogether, it took long enough to just walk to the top of our road.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Off you pop then. ECML trains still running, maybe you can sort yourself out there rather quickly.

Nobody should ever end it on a railway line, it is incredibly selfish, think of the train driver.

• Like 1