Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

11 hours ago, S35_2o21 said:

I think if people care about the health of their children and grandchildren, the CAZ should be supported. 

I'm still not sure why a 15min city is such a bad thing. To me, I think it sounds great. 

People have lived in the city for decades with no issues and would continue to do so.

It's meant to sound great, that's how they sell it to the gullible.

11 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Because morons out there believe it means you are trapped in a certain area of a city for all eternity, myths perpetuated by Katie Hopkins and her ilk.

Leave the morons to it.

Don't think anyone has said you'll be trapped, you just won't be fully free without paying penalties, anyone that's happy with that needs sectioning.

13 hours ago, top4718 said:

People have lived in the city for decades with no issues and would continue to do so.

It's meant to sound great, that's how they sell it to the gullible.

Don't think anyone has said you'll be trapped, you just won't be fully free without paying penalties, anyone that's happy with that needs sectioning.

In terms of the link between air pollution and the impact on health, there have been numerous studies which indicate that Sheffield has an issue with shorter life expectancy and other health indicators. Prior to the Tory government of 2010, Sheffield benefitted from a lot of Government support to try and improve health outcomes for individuals. 

In terms of the 15 min City model, this depends on how this is implemented. Oxfordshire Council have chosen to link this with  congestion reducing measures. The OP of this thread hasn't provided a link to the proposal for Sheffield, so we don't know what the Council are considering. 

22 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

In terms of the 15 min City model, this depends on how this is implemented. Oxfordshire Council have chosen to link this with  congestion reducing measures. 

Have they?

Pretty sure they have come out and said their 6 new bus gates have sod all to do with the aspirational 15 minute city idea?

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Have they?

Pretty sure they have come out and said their 6 new bus gates have sod all to do with the aspirational 15 minute city idea?

This statement refers to conjestion measures: https://www.oxford.gov.uk/news/article/2332/joint_statement_from_oxfordshire_county_council_and_oxford_city_council_on_oxford_s_traffic_filters

1 minute ago, bellendbarry said:

I think its wrong. People should be allowed to travel as far and or as long as they like.

They can and will. The idea is to provide stuff so that they don't necessarily have to.

Extrapolated by conspiracy theorists and other right/left wing headcases to mean being confined to certain areas, limited passes out etc etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, S35_2o21 said:

Indeed. It also says this...

Will Oxford residents be confined to their local area? 

No.      

The misinformation online has linked the traffic filters to the 15-minute neighbourhoods proposal in the City Council’s Local Plan 2040, suggesting that the traffic filters will be used to confine people to their local area. This is not true.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

The OP of this thread hasn't provided a link to the proposal for Sheffield, so we don't know what the Council are considering. 

That’s because there isn’t any plan for them in Sheffield.

The only mention of them anyone found was in a written reply to a question by the opposition in a Sheffield Council meeting.

This went along the lines of:

Question: 15 min cities are a good idea why aren’t you doing them here ?

Answer: Yes, we agree, they’re a great idea, but we’re already doing a lot of those good things,  here’s a list of them, aren’t we great!

( this is a much shortened version but you get the gist) 

Standard political response to opposition questions. Basically political point scoring in the council chamber.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

The idea is to provide stuff so that they don't necessarily have to.

scary stuff.

also considering improving pedestrian access to those things that are already close by.

i'm at work, eating my lunch. I could have nipped over the road to the shop that's (opens google earth) only 300 meters away. There's only 1 road between me and the shop, but the walkable route requires me to cross 10 (ten!) lanes of traffic.

clearly, this is completely bonkers, but thoroughly representative of the way we build things now. We should stop doing this.

considering the observable fact that absolutely no-one in a position of power gives a single toss about these things, i suspect we're  a long way from exploding neck-collars.

Edited by ads36

3 minutes ago, bellendbarry said:

You're welcome to think that but then only 3 years ago the government banned us from going out and effectively locked us in our own homes for weeks on end. This 15 minute city sounds like a similar idea, not letting people out beyond their own neighbourhood.

I am wlecome to think that because I live in a very free society, and I don't forsee that changing anytime soon.

I don't recall being locked in my home for weeks on end?

The idea of a 15 minute city is not "not letting people out beyond their own neighbourhood", its about making provisions such that people don't have to go far to find/do/access what they want.