Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

It was irrelevant, it was effectively, political banter. I’ve written contributions to enough of them to know what they are.

You can see the government prospectus for Future High Street Fund here I can’t see any mention of 15 minute cities on a brief skim. It’s just a fund to regenerate high streets.

It says it’s objective is: “ to renew and reshape town centres in a way that improves experience, drives growth and ensures future sustainability”

In funding bids and business cases, applicants list out what policies and strategies their project is aligned with or supports. My guess ( because I haven’t seen it) is that what you saw  is something along those lines, just saying that the project supports a 15 minute cities approach ( which is generally seen as a good thing).

I've already quoted what the council thing states and it specifically mentions in larger typeface than the rest 15 minute cities, as usual you're trying to talk your way round it.

For the record they are not "seen as a good thing" apart from to a few gullible people on here.

15 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Out of interest, should 15 minute cities become a thing in a negative way will you admit you were wrong all along?

How would anything that happens afterwards make the statement I made “wrong”.

At that time, none of us on here could see any reference in SCC policy or documents that said they were implementing 15 min cities. The only thing that came up was in the minutes of a council meeting which amounted to the usual political point scoring between opposing parties.

1 minute ago, top4718 said:

I've already quoted what the council thing states and it specifically mentions in larger typeface than the rest 15 minute cities, as usual you're trying to talk your way round it.

For the record they are not "seen as a good thing" apart from to a few gullible people on here.

It’s a publicity notice in a window, not an official statement of council policy. I’ve linked you to an article in which a councillor explains their approach on 15 minute cities. It said it isn’t a focus.

I recently saw something that said research showed over 60% of people thought it was a good thing.

5 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

How would anything that happens afterwards make the statement I made “wrong”.

At that time, none of us on here could see any reference in SCC policy or documents that said they were implementing 15 min cities. The only thing that came up was in the minutes of a council meeting which amounted to the usual political point scoring between opposing parties.

It’s a publicity notice in a window, not an official statement of council policy. I’ve linked you to an article in which a councillor explains their approach on 15 minute cities. It said it isn’t a focus.

I recently saw something that said research showed over 60% of people thought it was a good thing.

No your claiming it was political point scoring, no evidence whatsoever that it was, they've claimed for funding to implement it so it will have to have been discussed and a funding request written and presented.

So are you saying the publicity notice is false - yes or no?

60% of which people?

23 hours ago, top4718 said:

No your claiming it was political point scoring, no evidence whatsoever that it was, they've claimed for funding to implement it so it will have to have been discussed and a funding request written and presented.

So are you saying the publicity notice is false - yes or no?

60% of which people?

Here are the survey results, check them out.

Of course it was political point scoring. That’s what the councillors do at council meetings. They put in written questions and try to look good and score “points” off each other.

The future high streets fund which is paying for the regeneration work on Fargate is nothing to do with 15 minute cities as far as I can see. I saw nothing in the prospectus that even mentioned it. It’s just providing money for high street regeneration projects.

If SCC are claiming it supports the 15 minute cities concept, so what?

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

Here are the survey results, check them out.

Of course it was political point scoring. That’s what the councillors do at council meetings. They put in written questions and try to look good and score “points” off each other.

The future high streets fund which is paying for the regeneration work on Fargate is nothing to do with 15 minute cities as far as I can see. I saw nothing in the prospectus that even mentioned it. It’s just providing money for high street regeneration projects.

If SCC are claiming it supports the 15 minute cities concept, so what?

Yougov owned by corrupt Tory Nadhim Zahawi - enough said.

If SCC are claiming it's a 15 minute city it counters virtually everything you've said on this thread, despite you quoting unreliable surveys it's a very unpopular decision.

I'll ask again are you saying literature is making a false claim - yes or no?

The UoS don't seem to think so:

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/city-region/enhancing-cultural-vibrancy/future-high-streets-fund

30 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Yougov owned by corrupt Tory Nadhim Zahawi - enough said.

If SCC are claiming it's a 15 minute city it counters virtually everything you've said on this thread, despite you quoting unreliable surveys it's a very unpopular decision.

I'll ask again are you saying literature is making a false claim - yes or no?

The UoS don't seem to think so:

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/city-region/enhancing-cultural-vibrancy/future-high-streets-fund

The quote that mentions a 15 minute city appears on this publicity flyer for the future high street fund bid. That bid was a partnership between SCC and University of Sheffield.

It says it’s an ambition:

”Our ambition is a ’15 minute city’ – providing access, clean air, re-purposing obsolete buildings high standard living accommodation & enhancing our cultural ecology.”

Whats not to like about that?

Having a “nice to have” ambition is not the same as having an adopted policy.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The quote that mentions a 15 minute city appears on this publicity flyer for the future high street fund bid. That bid was a partnership between SCC and University of Sheffield.

It says it’s an ambition:

”Our ambition is a ’15 minute city’ – providing access, clean air, re-purposing obsolete buildings high standard living accommodation & enhancing our cultural ecology.”

Whats not to like about that?

Having a “nice to have” ambition is not the same as having an adopted policy.

Look up the term "soft sell". 

It's quite amusing how you've gone from claiming their was no intention whatsoever to create these things to now following the "party line" that it's for the good of everyone. Laughable.

Edited by top4718

47 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Look up the term "soft sell". 

It's quite amusing how you've gone from claiming their was no intention whatsoever to create these things to now following the "party line" that it's for the good of everyone. Laughable.

I quite agree.  It has been fun watching them tie themselves on knots to  -  

a   -   Deny that they were even thinking about it.

b  -   Claim it's not going to happen

c  -   Try and convince us through all this denial,  that it would actually be a good thing  (as if any of them would know what a good thing is anyway.  -  state of city centre is proof of that )