Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

10 minutes ago, top4718 said:

all through this thread you've claimed these things are not on the agenda

what things?

Trying to make more amenities accessible via a short walk? - absolutely on the agenda, but progress is painfully slow*, it's essentially not happening.

Punishing people for leaving their allocated zone? - absolutely not on any agenda, obviously.

(*there is a shop near my Dad's house, but the only walkable route requires him to walk in the road, where it's national speed limit, along a winding country road. Walking this very short route is incredibly dangerous, so he / everyone drives to the shop that's about 1/4 mile away. There are no plans to improve the walking/cycling options on this route)

Edited by ads36

2 hours ago, altus said:

If there aren't all the amenities within 15 minutes of you now you don't currently have any freedom of choice. If there were such amenities you would have the choice to use them or to use others further away.

I suspect the use of zones comes from conspiracy theorists trying to convince people that they will be restricted to particular areas.

This makes no sense whatsoever

33 minutes ago, top4718 said:

I'm asking you because all through this thread you've claimed these things are not on the agenda whatsoever and now you've flip flopped to trying to make out they are a good thing.

Someone is putting flyers up around the city clearly stating the plan to create a 15min city endorsed by SCC, UoS, Hallam etc - is this false information - yes or no?

Throughout this thread I’ve pointed to there being no evidence that 15 minute cities is adopted policy in Sheffield. Nothing we have seen so far indicates any different. It could be included in future when policies are refreshed, who knows? There’s extensive public consultation on spatial planning policy, so you will be able to have your say.

Flipped to trying to make out they are a good thing? I think the theory of 15 minute cities is a good thing, as do plenty of others who have posted on here. I’ve never said anything different. What’s not to like about everyone having decent local facilities? It’s a nice theory but whether it will happen in reality is open to question.

Putting flyers up around the city? Does one piece of publicity information in a window constitute that? Why the constant exaggeration?

51 minutes ago, top4718 said:

It's clearly unworkable and they know it is, they will want you to have to leave your area as they'll charge you for doing so, it's like that idiot Khan in London claiming polluting cars cost lives but is happy to take £12.50 from you to let you carry on doing it, ridiculous.

And this is clearly the point of your objections to all this, you don’t want to pay anything more for using your car.

Price is a powerful influence in people making decisions. 

Policy makers from the government downwards want us to use our cars less. Making using the car more expensive is one way of helping to achieve it.

Over use of cars is probably responsible for or contributes to many of the ills that society is experiencing at the moment ( obesity, poor health, air quality, climate change etc etc). Is maintaining the “freedom” to use your car without further additional cost worth the problems it’s causing?

5 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

And this is clearly the point of your objections to all this, you don’t want to pay anything more for using your car.

Price is a powerful influence in people making decisions. 

Policy makers from the government downwards want us to use our cars less. Making using the car more expensive is one way of helping to achieve it.

Over use of cars is probably responsible for or contributes to many of the ills that society is experiencing at the moment ( obesity, poor health, air quality, climate change etc etc). Is maintaining the “freedom” to use your car without further additional cost worth the problems it’s causing?

How do you know I can't afford it and if I can what help is that to the climate, there will however be people who can't and these will be the most affected.

17 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Throughout this thread I’ve pointed to there being no evidence that 15 minute cities is adopted policy in Sheffield. Nothing we have seen so far indicates any different. It could be included in future when policies are refreshed, who knows? There’s extensive public consultation on spatial planning policy, so you will be able to have your say.

Flipped to trying to make out they are a good thing? I think the theory of 15 minute cities is a good thing, as do plenty of others who have posted on here. I’ve never said anything different. What’s not to like about everyone having decent local facilities? It’s a nice theory but whether it will happen in reality is open to question.

Putting flyers up around the city? Does one piece of publicity information in a window constitute that? Why the constant exaggeration?

So is the wording of the flyer, false - yes or no. 

Edited by top4718

27 minutes ago, top4718 said:

How do you know I can't afford it and if I can what help is that to the climate, there will however be people who can't and these will be the most affected.

I never said you couldn’t afford it. You just clearly don’t want to have to pay more.

Increasing the price of something may encourage some people to consider other options ( if they have them).

The some people who might choose a more sustainable mode of travel may not include you, but that’s your choice.

I’m not sure what governments can do about climate change etc that doesn’t have a detrimental impact of some sort on someone. Do you?