Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

1 hour ago, fools said:

Who wants to live next to a factory. Why is there only one A&E in Sheffield, centralised services are cheaper and more efficient to run.

But no one is proposing building an a&re department in every region of sheffield. 

Or a new self dependent economy in Woodhouse / Walkley / Wincobank etc 

they’re talking about making access to the available amenities easier.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mkapaka said:

they’re talking about making access to the available amenities easier.

the phrase starts with 15 minutes, a walking distance of less than a mile, that means closer not easier

Edited by fools

If it means eveerything is going to be within a 15 minute walk from my home then I think it sounds ok, the cinema, the park, maybe a pub, food shopping, doctors, dentists, a DIY store, maybe a a fish monger, maybe a cocktail bar , maybe an A&E department all within 1/2 mile from my house.

And we get cleaner air to breath, sounds like a good deal to me

1 hour ago, fools said:

There are many, if you have a think for a few seconds.

Who wants to live next to a factory. Why is there only one A&E in Sheffield, centralised services are cheaper and more efficient to run.

playing games with the centralised/de-centralised model is the sort of thing a new clueless head of department would do, to make their mark, before they are replaced and someone else has a play, thereby undoing it all.

This is a non-idea, from the beginning of time, people have had local services, and centralised services, it seems some local government types have been on an awayday, come away with a ladybird book of town planning to read, and spout the buzzword at every opportunity, whilst conflating it with the many other powers they have been granted in the last few years, to make the motorists life a lot more miserable. The media have eventually cottoned on that this is not popular, and here we are.

If you live within 5 miles of the city centre, you probably already have a supermarket, a GP, a dentist, a bit of grass, all within a mile, the idea this is some miracle anti-car cure is bizarre - 89% of commuters have to travel 2km or more to work, that's why cars are needed. People go to the supermarket in a car, because it is the most efficient use of their time.

Yes all the facilitys are available to those living near the city centre, but why not have the same facilities near a remote area like Bradfield too?

Edited by rogets

8 minutes ago, rogets said:

If it means eveerything is going to be within a 15 minute walk from my home then I think it sounds ok, the cinema, the park, maybe a pub, food shopping, doctors, dentists, a DIY store, maybe a a fish monger, maybe a cocktail bar , maybe an A&E department all within 1/2 mile from my house.

And we get cleaner air to breath, sounds like a good deal to me

Yes all the facilitys are available to those living near the city centre, but why not have the same facilities near a remote area like Bradfield too?

My bold

When will all that get built?

Underlined

There isn't an A&E in the city centre.