Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

Just now, top4718 said:

Nonsense, people use their freedom of choice to go where ever they like, I doubt anyone just uses things local to them.

You claimed car use won't be restricted so what if people still make their choice to use them?

So what? It's not black and white, is it. Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. If more things are local, more people will use a local thing. That local thing could be a cafe, a community centre, a health centre. I know opponents of the idea of local services like to quote examples of cinemas, factories and a and e departments, and ask where and when they will be built, but where in any organisations aspirations for local services are they mentioned as a goal.

You seem to be suggesting that local services are a bad thing? A yes or no answer will be good enough.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, top4718 said:

You claimed car use won't be restricted so what if people still make their choice to use them?

er... good for them?

let's remember that car use is already restricted : you need a license, you need insurance, your car need an MOT, VED, you need to obey the rules of the road, there are countless thousands of one way streets, traffic filters, bus gates, toll roads, bridges, etc (almost all of which have been in place for decades).

7 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Why do you think provision of local services is a "great concept", it's a really simple idea? 

So it is indeed but,   you would have thought that our clever politicians would have been providing all these lovely facilities for years.

Instead, they have,  over time,  systematically destroyed all our public facilities and then   -   the light finally dawns and they realise that they've been busy doing the opposite to what was needed. 

Only now,  do they realise why people are so dependant on cars and,  that we once had a first class public transport service in this city.

We also had a city centre that looked like a city centre with bustling roads and pavements,  and not a semi park, full of layabouts and addicts with hardly any police presence.

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

So it is indeed but,   you would have thought that our clever politicians would have been providing all these lovely facilities for years.

Instead, they have,  over time,  systematically destroyed all our public facilities and then   -   the light finally dawns and they realise that they've been busy doing the opposite to what was needed. 

Only now,  do they realise why people are so dependant on cars and,  that we once had a first class public transport service in this city.

We also had a city centre that looked like a city centre with bustling roads and pavements,  and not a semi park, full of layabouts and addicts with hardly any police presence.

I'm not in much disagreement with you here OG. Although I think the dual carriageway through the middle was a poor idea, to be honest.

5 minutes ago, ads36 said:

er... good for them?

let's remember that car use is already restricted : you need a license, you need insurance, your car need an MOT, VED, you need to obey the rules of the road, there are countless thousands of one way streets, traffic filters, bus gates, toll roads, bridges, etc (almost all of which have been in place for decades).

Yes people are fine with those and as there are going to be no more restrictions (as some on here claim) they'll keep using them, so how is net zero going to be acheived.

For the record most of the things you mention are proficiency and safety issues not restrictions.

8 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

They wanted us to be dependent on cars as it's the easiest way to raise revenue now they have pretend to dislike their use, look at when they pushed everyone to use diesel in the 80's.

23 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Yep. Some of us do, and in real life.

Now what was that line of work you were in? Seems fairly obvious to us that you're some construction contractors stooge, rubbishing the concept so that your employer can build huge swathes of high density housing with not a shop or school or health centre for miles. 

Oh dear! :roll:

If you MUST know...
... I'm the artistic and technical director for a group of entertainment artistes who are currently on a world tour!

Now how's that "building a ladder to the moon" project coming along, Mr Risen...

... I assume you've got planning Planner's permission? :hihi:

5 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

That local thing could be a cafe, a community centre, a health centre.      I know opponents of the idea of local services like to quote examples of cinemas, factories and a and e departments, and ask where and when they will be built, but where in any organisations aspirations for local services are they mentioned as a goal.

You seem to be suggesting that local services are a bad thing? A yes or no answer will be good enough.

You seem to be saying two different things here   -   Is there a goal or isn't there ?    -   Is there a plan to build local services for us all or isn't there ?

People are not saying they don't want local services  and that they are a bad thing    -    they are saying that they haven't got these local services so ,  are you saying that we are going to get them.

We will be more than happy to enjoy all these wonderful new facilities if they ever actually materialise but,  we are astute enough to know that  it won't happen except in new builds so where does that leave us ?

Learn from the governments mistakes of making promises that you already know,  cannot be fulfilled. 

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

You seem to be saying two different things here   -   Is there a goal or isn't there ?    -   Is there a plan to build local services for us all or isn't there ?

People are not saying they don't want local services  and that they are a bad thing    -    they are saying that they haven't got these local services so ,  are you saying that we are going to get them.

We will be more than happy to enjoy all these wonderful new facilities if they ever actually materialise but,  we are astute enough to know that  it won't happen except in new builds so where does that leave us ?

Learn from the governments mistakes of making promises that you already know,  cannot be fulfilled. 

I'm saying the aspiration to have them is a good idea, that having planning guidelines which encourage them is a good idea.

It's not for me to say whether we are getting them or not, I have no power to do so, just expressing my opinion.

I can say that some local shops and other things are being provided in the first phase of the Attercliffe Riverside development. Whether that's because of planning guidelines, or the developer just choosing to do so, I can't say. But what I can say is that I think it's a good thing that the developer is doing so. Others on here seem dead set against the developer providing space for local facilities, and I'm struggling to understand why.

8 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Oh dear! :roll:

If you MUST know...
... I'm the artistic and technical director for a group of entertainment artistes who are currently on a world tour!

Now how's that "building a ladder to the moon" project coming along, Mr Risen...

... I assume you've got planning Planner's permission? :hihi:

First steps taken, ref Citu's Attercliffe Riverside development.

22 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

When I was young in the 1950s we had a row of shops including a post office, chemist, hardware, grocers, butchers, bakers, barbers. The school, bus stop, church and pub within less than a 5 minute walk from our prefab and a field behind the prefabs where the children played safely.

There were police houses just down the road.

3 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

When I was young in the 1950s we had a row of shops including a post office, chemist, hardware, grocers, butchers, bakers, barbers. The school, bus stop, church and pub within less than a 5 minute walk from our prefab and a field behind the prefabs where the children played safely.

There were police houses just down the road.

Very similar to my experience as a young un.  All those facilities you mention were there within 100 yards plus a cinema next door but two.

We had a choice of 3 chip shops within two hundred yards who all had enough business to keep going because it was a highly populated area.

A brilliant way to live with good neighbours,  poor but honest and hard working,  and we had regular beat bobbies ( with a police box ) who knew everyone and we knew them.

One of the coppers called at our house regularly for a cup of tea.  Modern life will never get that good again and no,  we didn't know anyone with rickets ( which the modernaires like to bring up )..