Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

https://www.insidermedia.com/news/yorkshire/mixed-use-plans-for-new-waverley-high-street-submitted

Any thoughts on this, Tops. Get a planning objection worked up maybe, get all this....

"The plans include a new high street featuring six building suitable for retail and leisure uses, as well as space for outdoor events and pop-up market stalls. The high street would be anchored by a new local supermarket and community centre."

"New public realm would be provided, as well as and updated bus hub."

....nonsense taken out? 

Edited by Bargepole23

21 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

I'm saying the aspiration to have them is a good idea, that having planning guidelines which encourage them is a good idea.

It's not for me to say whether we are getting them or not, I have no power to do so, just expressing my opinion.

I can say that some local shops and other things are being provided in the first phase of the Attercliffe Riverside development. Whether that's because of planning guidelines, or the developer just choosing to do so, I can't say. But what I can say is that I think it's a good thing that the developer is doing so. Others on here seem dead set against the developer providing space for local facilities, and I'm struggling to understand why.

First steps taken, ref Citu's Attercliffe Riverside development.

I fully agree and I haven't heard anyone who opposes that aspiration.   What people are saying is that it's all promises and will never happen.

The only positive sign is a planning application for one single development,  something brilliant,  that no one will see within 20 years.

Hopes,  dreams,  and promises,  are around in abundance but let us know when this utopia actually  starts to happen. 

10 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I fully agree and I haven't heard anyone who opposes that aspiration.   What people are saying is that it's all promises and will never happen.

The only positive sign is a planning application for one single development,  something brilliant,  that no one will see within 20 years.

Hopes,  dreams,  and promises,  are around in abundance but let us know when this utopia actually  starts to happen

Already am, see above post ref second development, at Waverley. You're welcome.

20 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

let us know when this utopia actually  starts to happen. 

lots of places in Sheffield already fit the concept.

School

Library

pub

shops

cafes

park

dentist

gp surgery

etc.

etc.

it's just things you might reasonably expect people to want/need/use on a day-by-day basis, all within a 15min walk of their house.

See Crookes, or Woodseats for examples.

(Woodseats also an example of an established LTN that literally *nobody* is asking to reverse)

Edited by ads36

1 hour ago, ads36 said:

lots of places in Sheffield already fit the concept.

School

Library

pub

shops

cafes

park

dentist

gp surgery

etc.

etc.

it's just things you might reasonably expect people to want/need/use on a day-by-day basis, all within a 15min walk of their house.

See Crookes, or Woodseats for examples.

(Woodseats also an example of an established LTN that literally *nobody* is asking to reverse)

So Crookes and Woodseats are  "LOTS OF PLACES"  ??????         I only count two there. 

I expect, that when you tot them up,  there will be more  "lots of places"  that don't fit the description than there ae those that do.

I live on a large housing estate that used to have a library but which was shut down over 20 years ago. we also don't have a park

I would be interested in your idea of  "SHOPS" too because many people have one small corner shop  and that's their lot.

When you talk about a 15 minute walk   -   walk by whom ?  a 10 year old,  a teenager,  a mother with small kids,   an 80 year old  pensioner,  or someone disabled   ?

Sounds a bit different when you get own to details.

What about leisure facilities and sports and recreation facilities ?  Not everyone spends all their spare time in a pub.

What do all the etc etc etc etc represent.

Load of rubbish.  We don't have everything now and we will still not have them in 20 years time.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Already am, see above post ref second development, at Waverley. You're welcome.

So that's 2 instead of one.  When are they expected to be in use ?

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

https://www.insidermedia.com/news/yorkshire/mixed-use-plans-for-new-waverley-high-street-submitted

Any thoughts on this, Tops. Get a planning objection worked up maybe, get all this....

"The plans include a new high street featuring six building suitable for retail and leisure uses, as well as space for outdoor events and pop-up market stalls. The high street would be anchored by a new local supermarket and community centre."

"New public realm would be provided, as well as and updated bus hub."

....nonsense taken out? 

Waverley is a rapidly expanding site that apart from Morrisons and a chain pub has nothing, like I said earlier it's all well and good building retail units but you still have to fill them with a viable business, let see how quickly that happens and who will decide what businesses are allowed to open, charity and vape shuts wouldn't really be an answer.

38 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Waverley is a rapidly expanding site that apart from Morrisons and a chain pub has nothing, like I said earlier it's all well and good building retail units but you still have to fill them with a viable business, let see how quickly that happens and who will decide what businesses are allowed to open, charity and vape shuts wouldn't really be an answer.

Agreed, but unless developers provide the space for retail and community space, you end up like a lot of the estates built in the SE of Sheffield, swathes of housing and no local shop, or pub, or anything else within walking distance.

Could easily reach Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks and possibly town within 15 minutes from there 🤔 Not sure who'd be mad enough to live surrounded by lots of road pollution, not to mention what's left underneath.

1 hour ago, S1 1DJ said:

Could easily reach Meadowhall, Crystal Peaks and possibly town within 15 minutes from there 🤔 Not sure who'd be mad enough to live surrounded by lots of road pollution, not to mention what's left underneath.

From where ?

Are you an Olympic walker maybe ?

Lots of 15 minutes journeys between Meadowhall,  Crystal Peaks  and  town.

Some people have to put up with things being brought to where they live,  that were not there originally.

You don't have to go back that long before Meadowhall & Crystal peaks were even built.