Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

46 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Nobody is suggesting all these local facilities are in place everywhere now. Some of us are saying it would be good if they were, and that the development of them should be encouraged, even mandated for new developments.

Broomhill and Sharrowvale are good examples, equidistant from where I live, I can and do easily walk to them and they provide a lot of what I need without the need to drive. More of the same would be a good thing, as I'm sure you agree with from your post above.

I do fully agree with that.  As I said,  I was brought up with every shop we needed, including Post Office, Chip shops and Co-Op,  and we had 2 Pubs within 100 yards and a Cinema 10 yards away from our door.

I also walked to work and back every day, about 6 miles round journey and still consider that It was a far better way of life than todays.

Having said that,  much has changed since then and we no longer have the facilities that we used to have.

I seems that some people will not accept that fact and start insisting that we do have them.

Another thing which does not get taken into consideration is peoples different abilities.  Someone in their 20's can walk a lot further in 15 minutes than can someone in their 80's like myself.

That young person could also carry heavy shopping bags much easier than could I or my partner who is older than me.

Some posters assume that we are all young and fit and that the weather is always mid summer when we do our errands / shopping.  They need to talk about the real world instead of just theirs.

Edited by Organgrinder

6 hours ago, S1 1DJ said:

By car! Unless these journeys would be banned somehow.

Cars will obviously not be banned but,  the idea of 15 minute city areas is to remove most of the need for cars  -  otherwise, what's the point.

To remove that need,   the areas need to have everything that citizens might need.  A bit different from providing the odd shop and a butchers.

3 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Waverley was mentioned on here as an example of how this crazy idea can work, it's one of the most soulless places I can think, imagine that being your 15 minute zone, mental health will be through the roof.

Waverley? Is that the new development at Catcliffe? 

8 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Cheers 👍 

I'm pretty sure a large part of that area flood some years back. 

5 or 6 years ago if memory serves. 

Part of the area flooded when the Rother burst it's banks,  part of the area was a coal mine, part of the area was a coking plant and associated chemical works. All desirable land!

42 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Waverley was mentioned on here as an example of how this crazy idea can work, it's one of the most soulless places I can think, imagine that being your 15 minute zone, mental health will be through the roof.

It's a good job nobody is stopping anyone from leaving then, isn't it? 

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2