Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

7 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

On foot, bicycle or public transport we'll be free to go where we please. It's private motorized vehicles they're going after. Getting around in one of those is going to become increasingly tricky.

That’s the one thing you are probably right on. I doubt very much whether it will be anything draconian though. Probably more low traffic neighbourhood type restrictions etc. No one will stop you going anywhere in a car it just might take a bit longer and/or cost you a bit more. 

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Typo. Some people do refer to them as 20 minute cities/neighbourhoods. 

I think they will finish up as one hour neighbourhoods anyway,  so they can say we can reach a hospital, swimming baths, or  library.

Not sure whether graveyards will count.

Next will be championship race walking lessons for those who can't reach anywhere.

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Your memory of the Covid  Lock Down,  is not all it should be.  That's why they called it a Lock down.

And what if they DO,  have to go far to find\do\access what they want.   No restrictions, no passes, no charges at all?

My memory of Covid lock down is fine thanks. Went out for a walk every day, went to the shops, all within law/guidance.

8 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

I am wlecome to think that because I live in a very free society, and I don't forsee that changing anytime soon.

I don't recall being locked in my home for weeks on end?

The idea of a 15 minute city is not "not letting people out beyond their own neighbourhood", its about making provisions such that people don't have to go far to find/do/access what they want.

5 hours ago, Planner1 said:

It isn’t even remotely similar.

15 min cities is an urban planning concept which says we should have everything we need for our daily lives within 15 min walk or cycle of where we live.

Nowhere does it say anything whatsoever about not letting people out of their neighbourhoods.

So when is the development of all these fine things within 15 mins of everyone going to start, are there any plans available to view, has money been set aside, when's it happening?

6 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Put a time scale on it then, or are you still avoiding doing that as you know it will make you look ridiculous when nothing ever happens?

Lets reverse the question, do you think the current scheme being mooted will still be exactly in its current form in February 2025?

Just now, top4718 said:

Lets reverse the question, do you think the current scheme being mooted will still be exactly in its current form in February 2025?

What current scheme? Be more specific.

You mean the creation of six bus gates? Bus gates pop up everywhere. Hillsborough has had one for years you know.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Bloody hell, its not 10pm yet, you are early!

I'm planning to travel 15 mins from my home whilst it's still free.

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

What current scheme? Be more specific.

CAZ we'll start with that as it's more formed?