Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

55 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

If you actually have a look at the concept of the 15 minute city, it’s that those types of facilities are within 15 min walk or cycle of where we live.

Most people in Sheffield could cycle to the city centre in 15 mins, so it’s already a 15 minute city for a lot of people.

There are no plans whatsoever to implement the 15 min cities concept here so it isn’t going to cost anyone anything. Which bit of this do you not get?

It's about 15 minute walk, NOT CYCLE.

Those facilities are not there where I live, so it will cost a lot.

You could NOT cycle to town in 15 minutes from where I and many thousands of others live anyway.

When you talk about 15 minutes, whether walking or cycling, is this meant to be done in nice weather or in rain, snow, hail and gale force winds too?

26 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

It's about 15 minute walk, NOT CYCLE.

Those facilities are not there where I live, so it will cost a lot.

You could NOT cycle to town in 15 minutes from where I and many thousands of others live anyway.

When you talk about 15 minutes, whether walking or cycling, is this meant to be done in nice weather or in rain, snow, hail and gale force winds too?

Nope, it’s walk or cycle, and nobody says you have to do it by those modes.

From this article:

The 15-minute city (FMC)[1] is an urban planning concept in which most daily necessities and services, such as work, shopping, education, healthcare, and leisure can be easily reached by a 15-minute walk or bike ride from any point in the city.

45 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

From this article:

The 15-minute city (FMC)[1] is an urban planning concept in which most daily necessities and services, such as work, shopping, education, healthcare, and leisure can be easily reached by a 15-minute walk or bike ride from any point in the city.

Great concept - but it probably means knocking whole cities down and rebuilding them. Not what I'd call a great idea. In my case, we have shopping  ( a little restrictive), education, healthcare (GP surgeries/dentists) but no hospital, and park (and the countryside). However, my work would be no where near 15 minute bike ride - when I was working.

Going back to the concept bit - why are our councils/councillors suddenly so in favour, to the extent that some people get the impression it is one step  closer to control of movement? Interesting. BTW, I am not in that highlighted group.

Edited by RollingJ

22 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

From this article:

I invite you to visit me and walk with me to the nearest cinema and then we will do it again to the nearest swimming pool and then to the nearest librar but you will not do it in 15 minutes,

After a lifetime of cycling, I can no longer ride a bike due to my age and my health and many of my neighbours are in exactly the same position.

You talk absolutely daft and obviously live within easy reach of the city centre,

Lets see you put your legs where your mouth is instead of spouting rubbish.

I would also challenge you to ride a bike in 15 minutes from the city centre to my home. in this instance, I would have to follow you by car.

After you have done that, we would need to repeat the exercise during a blizzard and a gale.

What you say doesn't surprise me because you always talk exactly like a senior council officer and they always talk a load of rubbish.

I hope many more will offer you this challenge until you accept that for many, IT JUST CAN'T BE DONE.

I should have known that you were getting your bright ideas from Wiki.  Shows just how much you know about planning.

Edited by Organgrinder

36 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I invite you to visit me and walk with me to the nearest cinema and then we will do it again to the nearest swimming pool and then to the nearest librar but you will not do it in 15 minutes,

After a lifetime of cycling, I can no longer ride a bike due to my age and my health and many of my neighbours are in exactly the same position.

You talk absolutely daft and obviously live within easy reach of the city centre,

I would also challenge you to ride a bike in 15 minutes from the city centre to my home. in this instance, I would have to follow you by car.

After you have done that, we would need to repeat the exercise during a blizzard and a gale.

What you say doesn't surprise me because you always talk exactly like a senior council officer and they always talk a load of rubbish.

I hope many more will offer you this challenge until you accept that for many, IT JUST CAN'T BE DONE.

I should have known that you were getting your bright ideas from Wiki.  Shows just how much you know about planning.

Tell people to walk faster

14 minutes ago, rogets said:

Tell people to walk faster

Or better still run.

Time we got all these old fogies in training?

These planners do have some brilliant ideas. not

Couldn't plan a  p-up in a brewery.

4 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Great concept - but it probably means knocking whole cities down and rebuilding them. Not what I'd call a great idea. In my case, we have shopping  ( a little restrictive), education, healthcare (GP surgeries/dentists) but no hospital, and park (and the countryside). However, my work would be no where near 15 minute bike ride - when I was working.

Going back to the concept bit - why are our councils/councillors suddenly so in favour, to the extent that some people get the impression it is one step  closer to control of movement? Interesting. BTW, I am not in that highlighted group.

I don’t for a minute think that anyone is going to knock down large areas to rebuild them as district centres. Many places already have them and they just might need some money spending to regenerate them and make them more attractive to businesses and locals.

London Borough of Newham has got £20 million of government funding for a 15 minute cities project that appears to be about improving the vibrancy of  a couple of district centres. See this 

In Oxford they are talking about using the concept to protect and strengthen existing district centres and make plans to build one new one in their planning policy for the period up to 2040. See this

So that’s 2 councils in the UK that I know of that are seriously taking on board the concept and putting it in their policies and projects.

It chimes quite well with several areas of government policy, that most local authorities have also adopted. Promoting active travel, reducing over-use of cars, making neighbourhoods and city centres safer and more pleasant to live in. That’s why councillors and councils are interested, it’s new and trendy and the government are prepared to put money into it.

Not all current residential areas are going to fit the concept and no one anywhere says they should, it’s just a concept of how things could be ideally. That’s it, nothing to be afraid of. 

Some of the low traffic neighbourhood schemes in London attracted a lot of  anger and negativity from motorists as they saw them as restricting their freedom to drive anywhere anytime. Some councils dropped them after negative reactions and my guess is that the hype about 15 min cities is at least in part an attempt to make them difficult for politicians to implement because of the negative publicity they attract.

5 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Why don’t you just quit spouting nonsense instead? But that wouldn’t suit your agenda would it.

Where has anyone ever said that all people MUST walk to these facilities regardless of ability, weather etc.  No one has ever said that, you know it, but you continue to spout this utter rubbish.

Those aren’t my ideas as you know. I provided a helpful link that explains the concept, so you might understand it better.

7 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

I don’t for a minute think that anyone is going to knock down large areas to rebuild them as district centres. Many places already have them and they just might need some money spending to regenerate them and make them more attractive to businesses and locals. (1)

London Borough of Newham has got £20 million of government funding for a 15 minute cities project that appears to be about improving the vibrancy of  a couple of district centres. See this 

In Oxford they are talking about using the concept to protect and strengthen existing district centres and make plans to build one new one in their planning policy for the period up to 2040. See this

So that’s 2 councils in the UK that I know of that are seriously taking on board the concept and putting it in their policies and projects. (2)

It chimes quite well with several areas of government policy, that most local authorities have also adopted. Promoting active travel, reducing over-use of cars, making neighbourhoods and city centres safer and more pleasant to live in. That’s why councillors and councils are interested, it’s new and trendy and the government are prepared to put money into it. (3)

Not all current residential areas are going to fit the concept and no one anywhere says they should, it’s just a concept of how things could be ideally. That’s it, nothing to be afraid of. (4)

Some of the low traffic neighbourhood schemes in London attracted a lot of  anger and negativity from motorists as they saw them as restricting their freedom to drive anywhere anytime. Some councils dropped them after negative reactions and my guess is that the hype about 15 min cities is at least in part an attempt to make them difficult for politicians to implement because of the negative publicity they attract. (5)

(1) Fair enough - no council would be so stupid - would they? If the infrastructure/facilities are already there, fair enough though.

(2) If they can do that - without disrupting everyone's life - again fair enough. It is a good idea, in principle.

(3) 'It's new and trendy' - exactly 'trendy', but not always the best idea.

(4) A concept - that's all.

(5) I guess those motorists quite likely were slightly right as well as slightly wrong - if they  lived in South Mimms and worked in Teddington it's a long walk - or cycle.