Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

45 minutes ago, top4718 said:

The UK is falling short of expected targets of at least a 68% reduction in 2030 so the impressive sounding waffle above clearly isn't enough, what will need to be done to reach the required target?

That's greenhouse gases (carbon) target, not the CAZ.

Guest busdriver1
34 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Never said it was, to reach the carbon targets for 2030 more measures will be needed.

We need to sort out air travel and that will make a massive difference but the airline industry is currently untouchable.

19 hours ago, top4718 said:

The poster is saying it's nothing to do with it, I don't really want or need your opinion on it or lame jokes, I'm asking why you think a poster who's posts you largely agree with is claiming the opposite to what the council clearly want's to implement:

therefore believes that as a Council we should work towards the concept of ‘15 minute neighbourhoods’, reducing time and distance to access services; meaning residents should have within a 15-minute journey via foot, cycle or other mobility aid from their home: living, working, commerce, healthcare, education, entertainment, parks and green spaces;

Because it's a good idea and nothing to do with the paranoid nightmare you're promoting.

What are you on about?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, top4718 said:

451 posts into the thread and Joseph Goebbels turns up.

Are you upset by my reference to immigration? It's just one example of how global heating and climate breakdown will affect every part of the planet and every part of the world. My point is that the government's dog whistle approach to refugees won't survive contact with the reality of climate change. The Farages of this world are going to look utterly irrelevant when not just the rest of the world comes begging for sanctuary, but when the climate break down starts to destroy our way of life from our own shores. Who then will let us in?  So returning to the matter in hand, measures to encourage sustainable mass transit and active travel must start now and be implemented rapidly. 

16 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

False.

From "cradle to grave" by that I mean the life of the car from initial manufacture to scrapping, electric vehicles are overall more damaging to the earth than petrol/diesel cars due to the rare earth minerals needed for EV's.

Ah, I wondered when 'rare earth minerals' would come into it. All technology is made from finite resources, including your favourite petrol/diesel cars. There's nothing unique about electric cars in that respect. But if you insist, what else do you propose we should do to keep fossil fuels in the ground?

Edited by birobasher

6 hours ago, busdriver1 said:

We need to sort out air travel and that will make a massive difference but the airline industry is currently untouchable.

Yes .

Emissions from transport in urban areas are a small proportion of carbon emissions and "15 minute cities" (and Clean Air Zones) would make only a minor difference to the greenhouse gases target, but contribute a significant level of air pollution in the form of NO2 and PM2.5.

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/POST-PN-0691/POST-PN-0691.pdf

Edited by Longcol