Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

OK - in 7 years, do you think the take up of electric vehicles (still polluting, just indirectly) and their price will be sufficiently adjusted to compensate?

Like with all technology I suspect the price of electric vehicles will come down.

I remember buying my first ever Freeview box around 2004 and it cost me £120. Basic model. The same box now would be no more than £20. 

I remember when DVD players cost £800!

Edited by HeHasRisen

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Like with all technology I suspect the price of electric vehicles will come down.

I remember buying my first ever Freeview box around 2004 and it cost me £120. Basic model. The same box now would be no more than £20. 

I remember when DVD players cost £800!

They are going to have to drop a long way. And I note with interest that you haven't acknowledged that electric vehicles are still 'polluting'. Note also that the current technology for powering said vehicles is extremely damaging to the environment.

Just now, RollingJ said:

They are going to have to drop a long way. And I note with interest that you haven't acknowledged that electric vehicles are still 'polluting'. Note also that the current technology for powering said vehicles is extremely damaging to the environment.

You mean the stuff in the batteries? Point taken, but the whole agenda at the moment is reducing emissions, so nobody in any power of authority is likely to give a toss.

Just now, HumbleNarrator said:

Electric charging stations will not flow like petrol station generally do as it takes ages to charge your vehicle. Most wont be able to charge at home. Going forward I expect new-build hosing estates to be largely pedestrianised anyway. 

It used to take ages to download a three minute song. Now it takes a second or so.  See where I am going with this one?

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You mean the stuff in the batteries? Point taken, but the whole agenda at the moment is reducing emissions, so nobody in any power of authority is likely to give a toss.

So no 'joined-up' thinking from 'those in power'? Not really a surprise.

It's something like 35 minutes for 100 miles of charge. If there's a queue at the charging station you'll be waiting your turn all day.

Just not practical.

I agree, but that is now. I wont be getting an electric car yet myself. In ten years time technology may improve to the point it takes a fraction of the time, as per my song download analogy, plus better technology may exist to make home charging much easier.

1 minute ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Making electric charging a battery a similar speed to filling up with petrol or diesel is science fiction stuff at the moment.

Being able to download a song in a second would have been science fiction stuff 20/25 years ago....

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

I agree, but that is now. I wont be getting an electric car yet myself. In ten years time technology may improve to the point it takes a fraction of the time, as per my song download analogy, plus better technology may exist to make home charging much easier.

Note the emphasised word. You related to Planner1 by any chance - you both seem to have an unfailing confidence in authority?

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Note the emphasised word. You related to Planner1 by any chance - you both seem to have an unfailing confidence in authority?

Yes mate, he is my dad mate, I suck on his teat daily mate.

Nothing wrong with being optimistic or having confidence. If the current infrastructure was in place in 10 years time it simply wouldnt work, so it simply HAS to change.

Its not some big global conspiracy to only allow the Rothschilds to be able to afford a car, for crying out loud.

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Way back in this this thread I'm sure I remember you denying the implementation of a 15 minute city at least a couple of times. If I'm mistaken then I take it back. It would however be a bit remiss of you to play the silly game that hehisrisible is playing which is being pedantic over whether it's 15 min city or 15 min neighbourhood.

I pointed out in those posts that the only mention of SCC and 15 minute cities / neighbourhoods was a written answer to an opposition question in a full council meeting, which basically said, yes these are a nice idea, we already do a lot of the good stuff that is associated with them, aren’t we great ( ie normal political point scoring)

No one has ever come up with any evidence that SCC plan to actually implement the 15 minute cities / neighbourhoods principles here.

I'm no expert on these things but I doubt it would be "physically" possible to safely transfer a large amount of concentrated electricity from one place to another, in a practical, convenient way much more quickly than you currently can.

I agree, I also highlighted a key word.

I can charge my phone up with a wireless charger now if I so wish. Technology will simply have to change to facilitate the petrol 2030 ban, as mentioned in my last post.