Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

2 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

I'm no expert on these things but I doubt it would be "physically" possible to transfer a large amount of concentrated electricity from one place to another, in a practical, convenient way much more quickly than you currently can.

Laws of physics - you can't.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

as I don't know what that is, can you give me a link to an explanation?

It was in the post you commented on, or do you not read the posts you comment on?

Either way, have a read of it and come back with a list of applicable "laws of physics".

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Which laws of physics apply to "concentrated electricity"?

No such thing as concentrated electricity.

It makes no difference because it's not the electricity which leads to long charging times, but the battery itself.

The batteries widely in use at the moment could not possibly be made to charge as quickly as filling a car with petrol and the fire risk would be too great anyway..

New types of battery are on their way in the near future, which are lighter, quicker charging (although still not as quick as a petrol fill)

and much safer from a fire hazard point of view.

At least 2 different types are well in developement at this time and should not be too long before they show.

Cost will also be a big factor but nobody talks about prices yet.

Whatever they use has got to be quickly, cheaply and easily recycled or the planet would not cope with that number of dead batteries.

Hydrogen is really the way to go but perfecting it is too slow and costly.

Edited by Organgrinder

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

No such thing as concentrated electricity.

It makes no difference because it's not the electricity which leads to long charging times, but the battery itself.

The batteries widely in use at the moment could not possibly be made to charge as quickly as filling a car with petrol and the fire risk would be too great anyway..

New types of battery are on their way in the near future, which are lighter, quicker charging (although still not as quick as a petrol fill)

and much safer from a fire hazard point of view.

At least 2 different types are well in developement at this time and should not be too long before they show.

Cost will also be a big factor but nobody talks about prices yet.

Whatever they use has got to be quickly, cheaply and easily recycled or the planet would not cope with that number of dead batteries.

Hydrogen is really the way to go but perfecting it is too slow and costly.

Thanks, Organgrinder. I nearly totally agree with what you are saying there, but physics still plays a part. The flow from the Grid is restricted by the physical characteristics of the mains cabling and, as you infer, the capabilities of the receiving battery, which is what I was trying to infer in post #605.

11 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Thanks, Organgrinder. I nearly totally agree with what you are saying there, but physics still plays a part. The flow from the Grid is restricted by the physical characteristics of the mains cabling and, as you infer, the capabilities of the receiving battery, which is what I was trying to infer in post #605.

Yeah exactly,  They might manage to come up with what's needed eventually but time is of the essence and they should have gotten serious with their R & D much earlier.

That's why I think Hydrogen is a better answer and can be used in ordinary petrol engines but it's too costly to produce in mass quantities.

It's now getting close to "backs against the wall time" so here's hoping some bright spark (pardon the pun)  will save the day for us all.

48 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Much work going into the development of HTS grid cables, particularly for DC links.

34 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

🙄 Sigh, come on then, what's so funny?

Here you are.

"Concentrated electricity" .... what is it?