Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

2 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Don't get too hung up on that. I was questioning the possibility of transferring electricity from one thing-a charging point, to another-a battery, conveniently and safely and at much faster rate than is currently possible. 

That will need a different technology than what is currently employed, and no-one has come up with it - yet. Not saying it isn't possible, but not as things stand.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

That will need a different technology than what is currently employed, and no-one has come up with it - yet. Not saying it isn't possible, but not as things stand.

That same reasoning could well have been applied to any number of technologies before they were advanced by science and engineering to their current state.

If you want a summary of Planner1's posts on this thread - first he vehemently denied the 15 min concept, then stated we'd have to move if we didn't like it, then when I posted the Councils motion which mentions it numerous times he went quiet now he's back in denial, very trustworthy.

Bath are another Council that have just decided to promote this concept, what a coincidence all these places coming up with the same idea at a similar time:

https://beta.bathnes.gov.uk/bath-local-centres-high-street-improvement-scheme/introduction-and-policy-background#:~:text=The project supports the '15,reduce the need to travel.

I'll ask again, when does the development start for these 15min Utopia's, can't recall seeing any plans mooted?

2 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Don't get too hung up on that. I was just questioning the possibility of transferring electricity from one thing-a charging point, to another-a battery, conveniently and safely and at much faster rate than is currently possible. 

Presumably we are talking about commercial charging points, because speed doesn't really matter for home charging, it's generally done overnight.

No reason for the conductors from charger to car to be flexible cables. If the car connection was standardised the conductors could be fixed points that the vehicle "drives" onto. Such a system could carry very high currents, meaning faster charging rates, assuming battery technology can be developed to allow rapid charging.

22 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Presumably we are talking about commercial charging points, because speed doesn't really matter for home charging, it's generally done overnight.

No reason for the conductors from charger to car to be flexible cables. If the car connection was standardised the conductors could be fixed points that the vehicle "drives" onto. Such a system could carry very high currents, meaning faster charging rates, assuming battery technology can be developed to allow rapid charging.

It is not particularly a case of the conductors which is limiting the current.

The batteries in use at this time are not capable of having the charge time increased massively.  With too big a charge they would overheat and catch fire,

There are new types of batteries being developed but, despite everyone's wishes, there may still be quite a wait.

5 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Beware the arse numbing pedantry over the distinction between city and neighbourhood. I got hehasrisen to admit he was doing that.

I’m still awaiting your apology for falsely accusing me of doing that………

5 hours ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Beware the arse numbing pedantry over the distinction between city and neighbourhood. I got hehasrisen to admit he was doing that.

No ones managed to answer yet when all these extra facilities that they are so looking forward to are gonna be built.

9 minutes ago, top4718 said:

No ones managed to answer yet when all these extra facilities that they are so looking forward to are gonna be built.

Quite obviously its an aspirational planning concept for new housing projects, or are you being obtuse on purpose along with TinFoil Narrator now?

• Like 1