Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

I must admit that I assumed that you wanted that simply because, I have never ever heard you say that the council was wrong and the people were right.

Every post I have read from you has always been in DEFENCE of the council and Never against it.

If there is no Sheffield scheme that you are aware of, why are we all arguing, including you, on a thread discussing, Sheffield becoming a 15 minute city?

Because some misinformed individual posted a link to a poor 'petition'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Because some misinformed individual posted a link to a poor 'petition'.

I have never mentioned a petition, nor seen a link, as far as I can recall, and, whatever I say is not informed be any petition.

I am a free thinking individual who tries to find out what things are about and make up my own mind.

I do admit to having a very very poor opinion of Sheffield City Council and their determination to go against their citizen's wishes at all times, as with the TREES debacle.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

I have never mentioned a petition, nor seen a link, as far as I can recall, and, whatever I say is not informed be any petition.

I am a free thinking individual who tries to find out what things are about and make up my own mind.

I do admit to having a very very poor opinion of Sheffield City Council and their determination to go against their citizen's wishes at all times, as with the TREES debacle.

You haven't mentioned a petition, but this topic was started by an individual who had.

I'm also a free-thinking individual, who finds out the truth when I see what look like suspicious statements.

The 'tree'  issue was dealt with in an atrocious manner, agreed, but some of said trees (a small number in the overall strategy) were a safety hazard.

10 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

You haven't mentioned a petition, but this topic was started by an individual who had.

I'm also a free-thinking individual, who finds out the truth when I see what look like suspicious statements.

The 'tree'  issue was dealt with in an atrocious manner, agreed, but some of said trees (a small number in the overall strategy) were a safety hazard.

Just keep watching and, despite all protestations to the contrary, Sheffield will have, or try to have,  these 15 minute zones.

They  are only denying it because they can't explain where all the new facilities are coming from and, WHO'S GOING TO PAY FOR THEM.

I think it will never happen but only because they know we are determined not to accept it and, they know that they cannot afford it.

I have things to do and so, shall have to leave this debate for a while.

Edited by Organgrinder

29 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I must admit that I assumed that you wanted that simply because, I have never ever heard you say that the council was wrong and the people were right.

Every post I have read from you has always been in DEFENCE of the council and Never against it.

If there is no Sheffield scheme that you are aware of, why are we all arguing, including you, on a thread discussing, Sheffield becoming a 15 minute city?

I come on here to provide an “informed” view on why and how things happen. I understand how the council works and the way in which they do things from personal experience and I think that adds value to debates. 

When I don’t agree with something, I say so. One example is signs and roadmarkings only 20mph zones, which, as I’ve said many times, don’t deliver any tangible benefit in terms of safety improvements, but politicians continue to approve them because they are relatively inexpensive and it allows them to say, you asked, we listened, we acted. Personally, I don’t think they are a good use of public money, but I can see why politicians want to put them in.

The 15 minute neighbourhoods debate appears to be happening because some people are ( incorrectly in my view) linking several different types of schemes that local authorities are promoting ( 15 minute neighbourhoods, low traffic neighbourhoods etc) and concluding that they are the thin end of the wedge in terms of a national ( or even global) plan to restrict people’s freedom of movement.

People cite the Oxford scheme as an example, but that is just half a dozen bus gates designed to keep through traffic out of an area. Locals in Oxford and Oxfordshire get a limited number of permits that allow them through the bus gates ( which they call traffic filters). 

Some people are seeing this as the start of an assault on freedom of movement and say it will end up with people not being able to travel outside their neighbourhood.

They say that this is linked to efforts to meet carbon reduction targets, which central government and local councils have signed up to and quite rightly point out that these targets won’t be met without significant changes to how we currently travel.

Edited by Planner1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Just keep watching and, despite all protestations to the contrary, Sheffield will have, or try to have,  these 15 minute zones.

They  are only denying it because they can't explain where all the new facilities are coming from and, WHO'S GOING TO PAY FOR THEM.

I think it will never happen but only because they know we are determined not to accept it and, they know that they cannot afford it.

@Planner1 has saved me answering (thank you).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

As I’ve said (and provided a link which explains it), 15 minute neighbourhoods is just a town planning concept.

To give it any real status, it would need to be included in adopted planning policy contained in the Local Plan. That would take years to achieve because of the process involved in writing those policies, consulting on them and having them examined in public by a planning inspector.

It would be a radical change as it can be seen to be going against the thrust of planning policy over the last 100 years or more.

If it was enshrined in adopted policy, it would be in terms of zoning of permitted development ie what can be built where. Ultimately the private sector development market would decide whether there was an appetite to deliver. 

Councils can help, through introducing schemes like low traffic neighbourhoods and making residential neighbourhoods easier to get around on foot. They can also get contributions from developers to help with the costs of providing schemes and services. Ultimately, the money for schemes including ones to regenerate areas, come from the government, so exactly what they could deliver will depend largely on what the government wants to fund.

2 hours ago, Planner1 said:

I come on here to provide an “informed” view on why and how things happen. I understand how the council works and the way in which they do things from personal experience and I think that adds value to debates. 

When I don’t agree with something, I say so. One example is signs and roadmarkings only 20mph zones, which, as I’ve said many times, don’t deliver any tangible benefit in terms of safety improvements, but politicians continue to approve them because they are relatively inexpensive and it allows them to say, you asked, we listened, we acted. Personally, I don’t think they are a good use of public money, but I can see why politicians want to put them in.

The 15 minute neighbourhoods debate appears to be happening because some people are ( incorrectly in my view) linking several different types of schemes that local authorities are promoting ( 15 minute neighbourhoods, low traffic neighbourhoods etc) and concluding that they are the thin end of the wedge in terms of a national ( or even global) plan to restrict people’s freedom of movement.

People cite the Oxford scheme as an example, but that is just half a dozen bus gates designed to keep through traffic out of an area. Locals in Oxford and Oxfordshire get a limited number of permits that allow them through the bus gates ( which they call traffic filters). 

Some people are seeing this as the start of an assault on freedom of movement and say it will end up with people not being able to travel outside their neighbourhood.

They say that this is linked to efforts to meet carbon reduction targets, which central government and local councils have signed up to and quite rightly point out that these targets won’t be met without significant changes to how we currently travel.

Good to see somebody post a sensible post on the subject from the inside point of view, thankyou

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Good to see somebody post a sensible post on the subject from the inside point of view, thankyou

Hmmm... :huh:

Now when you say "inside point of view" Mr Mel...
... what you really mean is someone who has a vested interest in making all these changes.

Think about it...
... without continually coming up with these changes they'd have little purpose in life and would be out of a job! :roll:

1 minute ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

Now when you say "inside point of view" Mr Mel...
... what you really mean is someone who has a vested interest in making all these changes.

Think about it...
... without continually coming up with these changes they'd have little purpose in life and would be out of a job! :roll:

NO, what i mean is how places like sheffield are planned and what small things go into such things, rather than one large over arching conspiracy to drag us kicking and screaming into an orwellian nightmare...is it just a traffic calming measure, or a bus gate here and there

sense NOT project fear, to paraphrase from the brexit debates of yore