Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

I wonder if those believing theres a conspiracy to stop people driving places in their cars are also angry about the current £2 bus fares, how dare they encourage car drivers to catch buses because its cheaper. Theyve also been extended to June i believe.

Theres no conspiracy to say people will be stopped, the argument is you'll be restricted by charges, there's plenty of suggestions that this is true, cheap fares are only any good if the buses are regular and reliable, in most places they are neither.

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

There are permits issued at the Hillsborough bus gate for residents of Rudyard Rd and roads off it.

There are other exemptions at bus gates which are usually described as Authorised Vehicles. Liveried NHS patient transport vehicles are one.

These permits will be for people who have virtually no option but to avoid it due to it's positioning, that's a totally different scenario to getting an exemption to drive through it, good bit of spin though. 

3 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

As I keep saying, Oxfords car traffic will be unavoidably filtered into the 6 routes. There will be ANPR type cameras all along them enforcing/managing the 100 occasion system.

Where is the evidence for this. The statements in the press imply they just want drivers to use the ring road.

1 minute ago, top4718 said:

These permits will be for people who have virtually no option but to avoid it due to it's positioning, that's a totally different scenario to getting an exemption to drive through it, good bit of spin though. 

They avoided it successfully for quite a few years before the permits were eventually given.

5 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Where is the evidence for this. The statements in the press imply they just want drivers to use the ring road.

They avoided it successfully for quite a few years before the permits were eventually given.

I can't comment as I don't know the history of it but it only applies to certain roads so not a permit that anyone can apply for as you instigated.

I've just had a look on a map, you can't leave Rudyard Rd (and the roads off it) WITHOUT going into the bus gate, are you saying these people received hundreds of fines before they were granted permits?

Edited by top4718

6 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Sorry I don't use buses. £2 fares? 

What's that all about? 2 quid max per journey?

Yeah £2 a journey, mines normally close to £9 per return, so save myself nearly a fiver a pop. its been going since 1st January, was meant to stop end of this month but has been extended till June

1 minute ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Oxford council gave a statement to the Oxford Guardian which contained the following:

• Six traffic filters are set to be tested for a minimum of six months around Oxford city from 2024. This means that between 7 am and 7 pm, private cars will need a permit to get through. St Cross Road, Thames Street, Hythe Bridge Street and St Clements 7 days a week, Marston Ferry Road and Hollow Way Mon-Sat)
  • Drivers using the filters who do not have a permit, or are not exempt, will face a penalty charge notice of £35, which will increase to £70 if not paid within two weeks.

Permits

Everyone who lives in the City of Oxford permit area (OPA), where the filters are to be located, will be eligible for one free, 100-day permit a year, which will mean “unlimited travel through any of the six filters for the whole day” on up to 100 days per year. Each household will be eligible for a maximum of three permits.

Residents living outside the OPA but within Oxfordshire will be eligible for a permit to drive through the filters “on up to 25 days a year”.

https://oxfordshireguardian.co.uk/oxford-15-minute-city-low-traffic-neighbourhood-ltn/

Ok, where there does it say they will be "forced" to use those routes rather than, say, use the outer ring road?

Answer = it doesnt.

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 minutes ago, top4718 said:

I can't comment as I don't know the history of it but it only applies to certain roads so not a permit that anyone can apply for as you instigated.

I never said or insinuated that there were permits generally available in Sheffield.

The Oxford ones can’t be applied for by “anyone”.

100 per annum for Oxford residents

25 per annum for Oxfordshire residents.

No facility mentioned for general public applications

Just now, HumbleNarrator said:

Of course the option of the ring road is there but that's not great for getting around Oxford is it??

Car drivers within Oxford are to be filtered (forced) into the 6 lanes/routes. 

God you're hard work!

Have you actually tried driving round Oxford at all in your life anyway?

Finally we get there! Nobody is being forced and they can use the alternative route. Geeez.