Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

29 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Post 28, 3rd paragraph. 

Cheers. Although if you loved me you'd have posted a link.

Don't worry though. I struggled through...

Next one. A woman in Oxfordshire where this is already implemented has payed 700 pound in fine and is now over 2000 pound in debt from fine that she can't afford to pay all for going to visit her sick son In hospital daily.

My gut instinct is 'that's a bit of a stretch'..

Was a link ever provided to back that claim up?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_DADDY said:

Cheers. Although if you loved me you'd have posted a link.

Don't worry though. I struggled through...

Next one. A woman in Oxfordshire where this is already implemented has payed 700 pound in fine and is now over 2000 pound in debt from fine that she can't afford to pay all for going to visit her sick son In hospital daily.

My gut instinct is 'that's a bit of a stretch'..

Was a link ever provided to back that claim up?

Nope. Because its a load of bull. No active scheme actually exists as of this date and even if it did, other free routes would be available.

I suspect its a real story about someone who hadnt been paying for hospital parking and the story has been twisted. That or she has been a numpty and has been driving in existing bus lanes for weeks and months.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Nope. Because its a load of bull. No active scheme actually exists as of this date and even if it did, other free routes would be available.

I suspect its a real story about someone who hadnt been paying for hospital parking and the story has been twisted.

My bold

Yeah thats what I thought  

Maybe it's a case of Chinese whispers or the poster has been following some of less reputable channels or websites.

I have my own thoughts on all this but believe me some are taking it to the extreme purely for clicks and likes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

A referendum should be held in any city who's council wishes to implement such a scheme, in fact a ref should have been held in Sheffield before the CAZ implementation.

I for one am prepared to live with the current traffic and pollution levels and so would have voted against CAZ and 15 min city.

MURDERER!!!!!!

3 hours ago, makapaka said:

Read post #1

@Organgrinder

I have read post ~ 01 and that is obviously a complete overreaction to what they are trialling in Oxford.

If you are going to argue using tripe like that as your backing then all you do is come out looking a laughing stock.

All this started off with Clean Air Zones and Sheffield has introduced one now.   Some are very much against these whilst I am not except that I think they should not have included the ring road.

Then it was decided to create Low Traffic neighbourhoods and Sheffield has joined the club again. 

I think that this is a pointless idea which makes life harder for drivers and just moves the traffic from one street to another.

The next piece of thinking which has all the councils interested was the 15 minute neighbourhoods.

This is exactly how we used to live in the old days and it worked a treat but everything was later closed or demolished.

Now this would be a great idea if we really did have everything we needed provided within 15 minutes of our homes.  UNFORTUNATELY WE WON'T.

In the concept article for this,  it has been suggested that these zones could have ANPR cameras which would automatically fine anyone who entered a zone other than their own

Similar to bus gates, and that if you needed to make a regular journey to another zone, you would be able to apply for passes, which would be limited to 100 passes a year.

This has not been done anywhere yet but councils have considered the concept and it has been mentioned in Sheffield.

The 2 lines in bold are the parts where I and many others would not be willing to co-operate.  I accept the need for clean air and I would welcome  a network of proper safe cycling routes.

I would not welcome a network of spy cameras issuing automatic fines.    Other posters may have different views on each or all of these schemes.

If you makapaka, wish to debate with me on this, then fine but, don't quote posts that are obviously silly and misleading as your argument,  or maybe you haven't twigged that the posts are daft.

Edited by Organgrinder

Guest makapaka
6 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

If you makapaka, wish to debate with me on this, then fine but, don't quote posts that are obviously silly and misleading as your argument,  or maybe you haven't twigged that the posts are daft

I don’t think you really understand how forums work do you.

the original post is the thread topic which I’m quoting. 

sorry if you have a problem with people responding to posts on a forum.

weird.

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

I suspect its a real story about someone who hadnt been paying for hospital parking and the story has been twisted. That or she has been a numpty and has been driving in existing bus lanes for weeks and months.

Hospital parking used to be free. Most people using hospital parking are surely already suffering some degree of anxiety or distress. Having to pay parking fees just puts the tin lid on it. And be under no illusion the money collected goes to the hospital. It goes to whichever private company runs it.

1 minute ago, makapaka said:

I don’t think you really understand how forums work do you.

the original post is the thread topic which I’m quoting. 

sorry if you have a problem with people responding to posts on a forum.

weird.

I have no problem at all with intelligent responders but,  I don't think that you actually understand anything at all.

If you wish to debate, why not just quote what I have said, and I will explain my reasons for saying that.   That is how debates are usually conducted once someone responds. 

19 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I have no problem at all with intelligent responders but,  I don't think that you actually understand anything at all.

If you wish to debate, why not just quote what I have said, and I will explain my reasons for saying that.   That is how debates are usually conducted once someone responds. 

Unless you put people on ignore like a pussy, instead of debating with them.

• Haha 1