Sheffield Becoming A 15 Minute City

16 minutes ago, melthebell said:

I'd also like to add, dont you think these right wing "conspiracy theorists" such as Katie Hopkins etc, maybe creating or jumping on the latest uproar bandwagon for a similar purpose, to make money, stay relevant, for a job?

Hmmm... :huh:

I do admit Mr Mel, that it's a tough call on who I believe the least...

... Katie Hopkins or Mr Planner! :hihi:

8 minutes ago, ads36 said:

3/6 - not bad!

i'd be curious to know what you think 'the real world' is ...?

working in a steel mill?

Hmmm... :huh:

So you DIDN'T have to work hard to get your qualifications then? ;)

On 14/02/2023 at 20:39, tracy2009 said:

IF YOU DRIVE IN SHEFFIELD THIS CONCERN YOU!!

Sheffield City Council has decided to turn sheffield into a 15 minute city, this means sheffield will be split into parts and you will only be aloud to leave you zone 100 time a year, If you leave your zone more you will be fined every time you do.

This is a complete over reach of power and will only make people more poor during this living crisis. If you visit relative regularly it will be limited to 100 times, If you have loved ones in hospital for a long period of time and you visit them daily you will still be charge when you go over your 100 trip to the next zone.  

I am trying to get the word out as hardly anyone know about this. They have already done this in Oxfordshire against the people will. 

I have done a petition to stop this as it is a complete attack on our freedom as people and our freedom of movement within sheffield

Please sign this as if the 15 minute does come into place we are all going to be a lot worse off.

https://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?ID=10282&RPID=10607674&HPID=10607674

Congratulations for posting the most inaccurate opening post ever made on Sheffield Forum, and this is a forum that has Bassettone on it.

On 14/02/2023 at 23:54, tracy2009 said:

Well unless that woman was lying about paying 700 in fines and being over 2000 pound in debt for fines visiting her son in hospital daily which I doubt you sick sort of someone to do that.

Scheme in Oxford doesn't start until 2024.

https://letstalk.oxfordshire.gov.uk/traffic-filters-2022#:~:text=They will be located on,order (ETRO) in 2024.

"Traffic filters are part of the Central Oxfordshire Travel Plan. They will be located on key routes across Oxford to improve bus services and journey times, reduce walking and cycling accidents and improve air quality across the city. They will be implemented under an experimental traffic regulation order (ETRO) in 2024."

8 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

That is what I was saying right at the beginning.

First class, cheap and reliable transport is a must if you want people to  get out of their cars.

I don't believe we will ever get that because councils only ever see cuts but waste money on the wrong things anyway.

Government will do nothing for anyone outside of London.

Yes indeed.

There needs to be a viable alternative to car use, but there’s ample evidence that most people won’t stop using their cars even if public transport is free. It’s been tried in some places and was found to make very little difference to levels of traffic congestion.

The money for pretty much all transport schemes and initiatives comes from the government, so it wouldn’t be true to say they do nothing for people outside London, but it isn’t nearly enough.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Yes indeed.

There needs to be a viable alternative to car use, but there’s ample evidence that most people won’t stop using their cars even if public transport is free. It’s been tried in some places and was found to make very little difference to levels of traffic congestion.

The money for pretty much all transport schemes and initiatives comes from the government, so it wouldn’t be true to say they do nothing for people outside London, but it isn’t nearly enough.

Just being free isn't going to promote it's use if it's unreliable and can't get you to where you want to go, public transport in the UK is a disgrace, the (fake) threat of climate change hasn't happened overnight there's been ample time to implement a first class service, why haven't they bothered?

5 minutes ago, top4718 said:

Just being free isn't going to promote it's use if it's unreliable and can't get you to where you want to go, public transport in the UK is a disgrace, the (fake) threat of climate change hasn't happened overnight there's been ample time to implement a first class service, why haven't they bothered?

Perhaps the Tories aren't interested in implementing first class public services? Just a thought 😎

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Longcol said:

Perhaps the Tories aren't interested in implementing first class public services? Just a thought 😎

I don't think it really matters which of the two useless main parties are in power if saving the earth is what's at stake does it?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Doesn't the "15 minute city" both conceptially and practically fly in the face of the modern trend of globalisation of everything and even mass migration?

Yes, it does.

And it means that those with the cash can carry on flying all over the globe in jumbo jets whilst I am being dissuaded from using my tiny little car and am supposed to walk everywhere.

Whatever anyone says, the 15 minute cities and the efforts on global warming are all going to be interlinked by the planets need and only those at the bottom are going to be expected to bear it.

Edited by Organgrinder