Council Tax In Sheffield Looks Set To Rise By 4.99%

iansheff

48 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I’m just a bloke on the internet. A bit like you, but clearly with better manners.

The question is relevant. If you don’t want to pay the council tax increase, then services will need to be cut further. I thought that you might have some suggestions, rather than just a load of whinges.

The suggestions people on here will have are pointless, as they wouldnt save enough. Anyone harping on about shipping containers, rainbow pedestrian crossing and/or cutting trees down has no concept of the issue at hand.

The only way money would be saved is if poor Ethel down the road doesnt get her twice a day visits,  and no sane person is going to suggest social care is cut.

Edited by HeHasRisen

47 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I’m just a bloke on the internet. A bit like you, but clearly with better manners.

The question is relevant. If you don’t want to pay the council tax increase, then services will need to be cut further. I thought that you might have some suggestions, rather than just a load of whinges.

It's not that I want to pay less council tax, (although that would be nice) I just want to see it spent better, and on the things we need.

I want to pay for better services that benefit us all, not shipping containers on fargate and stupid plant pots blocking off roads etc.

I also want to see them getting value for money instead of signing rip off contracts with huge privatised government bodies like Capita and Amey.

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The suggestions people on here will have are pointless, as they wouldnt save enough.

The only way money would be saved is if poor Ethel down the road doesnt get her twice a day visits,  and no sane person is going to suggest social care is cut.

Indeed, the care sector's been in turmoil since forever, and is unlikely to improve IMO, they've no staff for a start, nobody who's qualified in care wants to work LONG hours for pennies more than minimum wage! And they need to attract people who know what they're doing, not just Fred or Joe Bloggs from down the Job Centre because they'll employ anybody that can pass a basic DBS disclosure.

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

It's not that I want to pay less council tax, (although that would be nice) I just want to see it spent better, and on the things we need.

I want to pay for better services that benefit us all, not shipping containers on fargate and stupid plant pots blocking off roads etc.

I also want to see them getting value for money instead of signing rip off contracts with huge privatised government bodies like Capita and Amey.

And there we go. Do you really really think plant pots and shipping containers are the reason council tax is going up?

The answer is "no".

Dartford just whacked 15% on their council tax. Why do you think that was?

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, Prettytom said:

I could give the council  (not you) loads of suggestions for saving money and, along with many others, have been telling them for years.

Getting them to listen is the problem.

We also did not say that we didn't want to pay the council tax rise.  Can you show me where I did?

Your better manners should teach you not to claim people have said something when they have not.

If we want to have a good old whinge, which we probably will whilst this lot are in charge, then we will and don't need your blessing.

My belief is that you are one of the council wallahs but anyway,  find something to support your statements before you talk to me further.

5 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I could give the council  (not you) loads of suggestions for saving money and, along with many others, have been telling them for years.

Getting them to listen is the problem.

We also did not say that we didn't want to pay the council tax rise.  Can you show me where I did?

Your better manners should teach you not to claim people have said something when they have not.

If we want to have a good old whinge, which we probably will whilst this lot are in charge, then we will and don't need your blessing.

My belief is that you are one of the council wallahs but anyway,  find something to support your statements before you talk to me further.

Which lot do you think are in charge?

9 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Which lot do you think are in charge?

Judging by the results, nobody.

It's supposed to be an amalgamation of Lib Dems and Labour, but talking to a councillor recently, unless you are one of the favoured few, nobody else gets a look in, it's a closed shop that doesn't like new ideas, interference or any criticism from outside.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Judging by the results, nobody.

It's supposed to be an amalgamation of Lib Dems and Labour, but talking to a councillor recently, unless you are one of the favoured few, nobody else gets a look in, it's a closed shop that doesn't like new ideas, interference or any criticism from outside.

We have a similar problem with our local 'Community Interest Company' who have hijacked the Residents Association, but they may be in for a shock.