Scotland And Independence -What Happens Next?

Is there an economic case for an independent Scotland? 
Scotland joining the EU seems to be a non starter both politically and economically.
As with the UK leaving the EU jingoism  will be an important factor in the Scottish decision  to stay with or leave the Union.

11 hours ago, geared said:

Not a straight ride into the club though.  As a freshly minted country they won't have any kind of financial record, which is a key part of joining is it not?

They also might face resistance from Spain, who aren't keen to see parts of larger countries declare independence then join the EU, they have Basque and Catalan regions to keep in check.

Spain declared 4 years ago that they’d not stand against Scotland’s accession.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-spain-politics-scotland-idUKKCN1NP25P

I think all those alleging Scotland doesn’t have enough of an economy to go it alone, in or out of the EU, are in danger of projecting a little 'Brexity' cakeist mindset.

As EU economies go, it’s comparable population-wise and GDP-wise to other Nordics (Ireland, Denmark, Baltics) with a GDP per head at or above the EU27 average.

Its economy is tertiary, fully-developed and has experienced 40-odd years of EU membership already, so it is 'EU accession'-ready in that respect, a significant advantage relative to the newer EU member states, both at the time these joined and, for some, still now.

Scotland going for independence is not solely an economic decision, it’s an emotional one. After the last 7 years, and the ravages visited on the Scottish economy (the headliners like whisky, fishing, agriculture, but also - and more importantly- the real money earners like professional services) by Westminster's decisions without any consultation, the emotional component amongst Scots is easily triggered on economic matters.

There’s no more or new ‘Project Fear’ to shout at Scotland, that they haven’t already seen and experienced: they know what they had, they know what they lost, they know what they still have now, so they can have a significantly-better educated guess at what more they stand to gain and lose with independence, than in 2014 and 2016.

No set of people ever went for independence expecting to keep all the luxuries in the process. Look at the history of each and every ex-UK colony 😉 But Scotland is arguably better-prepared than most, in that respect.

Edited by L00b

32 minutes ago, L00b said:

Spain declared 4 years ago that they’d not stand against Scotland’s accession.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-spain-politics-scotland-idUKKCN1NP25P

I think all those alleging Scotland doesn’t have enough of an economy to go it alone, in or out of the EU, are in danger of projecting a little 'Brexity' cakeist mindset.

Scotland going for independence is not solely an economic decision, it’s an emotional one. After the last 7 years, and the ravages visited on the Scottish economy (the headliners like whisky, fishing, agriculture, but also - and more importantly- the real money earners like professional services) by Westminster's decisions without any consultation, the emotional component amongst Scots is easily triggered on economic matters.

As EU economies go, it’s comparable population-wise and GDP-wise to other Nordics (Ireland, Denmark, Baltics) with a GDP per head at or above the EU27 average.

Its economy is tertiary, fully-developed and has experienced 40-odd years of EU membership already, so it is 'EU accession'-ready in that respect, a significant advantage relative to the newer EU member states, both at the time these joined and, for some, still now.

No set of people ever went for independence expecting to keep all the luxuries in the process. Look at the history of each and every ex-UK colony 😉 But Scotland is arguably better-prepared than most, in that respect.

I want Scotland to stay part of the UK, but if they did become an  independent country  I believe economically they would be okay once things settled down.  How it would effect the rest of the UK that’s a different matter.

8 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

I want Scotland to stay part of the UK, but if they did become an  independent country  I believe economically they would be okay once things settled down.  How it would effect the rest of the UK that’s a different matter.

Put it that way: they may have to sell the shiny new BMW on the driveway to get by short-term, and replace it with a banger or -even a bus pass- to tie them over for a little while…

…but they’d still have a house, a job, enough to eat - with nothing owing and no more red letters 😉

As for the effect on the rest of the UK. I’d have thought many people, esp. the elderly, would be upset initially…but then bygones and onto the next episode of Strictly, tbh.

Edited by L00b

The Jocks need someone to hate, the English fit the bill nicely, they ignore the existence of the Welsh and Northern Irish along with the costs of independence. As a regretful Brexit supporter I believe that the entirety of British Isles belongs within the EU proper and that we should keep our differences on the sports fields.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, crookesey said:

The Jocks need someone to hate, the English fit the bill nicely, they ignore the existence of the Welsh and Northern Irish along with the costs of independence. As a regretful Brexit supporter I believe that the entirety of British Isles belongs within the EU proper and that we should keep our differences on the sports fields.

Most "normal/sane" Scottish folk don't hate the English, however the SNP's been getting their kilts in a bunch over devolution/independence for years, which will probably never happen.

5 hours ago, XPertByExperien said:

Most "normal/sane" Scottish folk don't hate the English, however the SNP's been getting their kilts in a bunch over devolution/independence for years, which will probably never happen.

It is a case of the minority making the biggest noise.  Scottish independence will never happen despite the shouting  of "I will scream and scream until I'm sick'