Bring Back The Death Sentence For Spies And Traitors.

Axe

7 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Ah, I see. Fair enough then but tbh it seems a shame you can't share something you clearly enjoy with the forum just because of 1 or 2 saddos but obviously it's entirely up to you.

As an aside I bet if they came face to face with one of those WWE manmountains they wouldn't say it was gay then. Maybe Brock Lesnar could change their minds 🤣

Would depend if they had put it in the script or not.

3 hours ago, Axe said:

The spy working for Russia has been treated leniently in my opinion.  13 years  (6 years) in prison for betraying his own nation and putting British folk at risk is not justice.   The death sentence should be brought back for spies and national traitors.

I agree.

Let’s start at the top.

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/strippers-spies-russian-money-dispatches

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I am totally against the death penalty for any crime, however in most cases a life sentence should mean life.

Totally agree .

It was abolished decades ago and won’t be coming back.

Frederick Forsyth made a valid point in my opinion that a return could well be counterproductive as far as the Hang em high brigade are concerned in that jury decisions could be influenced by the outcome of their decision.

Early release from a given jail term should be an exception rather than a right in my opinion.

• Like 1

Guest ThaBoom
10 minutes ago, Tipstaff said:

I'm with Albert Pierrepoint.  "The death penalty solves nothing."   History proves this.   Life imprisonment is a greater and much more effective punishment.

Surely it solves the problem of the offender not re- committing a crime. 

Also, life imprisonment isn't always 'life' as many offenders (talking even murderers) get released.

1 minute ago, ThaBoom said:

Surely it solves the problem of the offender not re- committing a crime. 

Also, life imprisonment isn't always 'life' as many offenders (talking even murderers) get released.

Rehabilitation is part of the criminal justice system too and where this is not possible, lengthier sentences are considered.  There have been many past cases of condemned prisoners being found not guilty after they have been hanged.  Imagine being a close family member?  It must be terrible.

I fully understand murdered victim's families calling for the death penalty too, but as Britain's last executioner (Pierrepoint) had said, it solves nothing.

36 minutes ago, Tipstaff said:

I'm with Albert Pierrepoint.  "The death penalty solves nothing."   History proves this.   Life imprisonment is a greater and much more effective punishment.

Yeah but life hardly ever MEANS life these days.

Somebody gets sent down for LIFE, more often than not they're out on license in under 10 years! OK some do reoffend and end up back doing Porridge at His Majesty's pleasure.

• Like 1

I know, but the likes of serial killers and those who cannot be rehabilitated do serve full life sentences.  To some other countries, our CJ system's sentencing is a joke and in some cases they are right. 

To get it completely right in some people's eyes (and mine in certain cases!),  we would have to more than double the amount of prisons and completely change the regime / model for the care and control of prisoners.